BC Boards

Some Cities are Banning Dogs and Cat Sales in Pet Stores

A little good news here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3735984/ns/health-pet_health/

MSNBC has an article on cities that are banning the sale of dogs and cats in pet stores. And the results are encouraging. More and more people are going to the shelters to get animals.

In one town euthanasia was down 35%

Good. There's a pet shop in the mall that sells dogs. Not only do most of them not look the breed they allegedly are (i.e. yorkies bigger than the breed standard when they're allegedly only 3 months old), but the rest are designer breeds. I had a friend who worked there briefly after HS, and she had to quit. She couldn't handle the amounts of sick/dying dogs in the back room.

This is encouraging! I personally don't think any kind of animal should be sold in pet stores. Feeder goldfish, feeder rats and mice and frozen chicks are all ok. But Aquarium fish should be sold in aquarist specialty stores, birds should be domestically raised and hand-fed. Too many pet emporiums sell wild-caught birds. And of course, pups and kittens should only be available from good breeders and rescue.

Being able to walk into a retail store and say, "Oh! Isn't that a cute puppy/ kitten!" and plunking down hundreds of dollars, for the instant gratification of a whim is a BAD thing. Acquiring a dog or cat should be hard. It should require research, thought, planning and a clear knowledge of what and why you want an animal.

Archived