BC Boards

Whistle Help

Eric_Hepner

I know this was discussed awhile ago, but it seems to have been a victim of the server crash. I am whistle challenged, I simply have not been able to make the whistle do much more than a single note and I can't reproduce it with anything resembling consistency. I have the inexpensive plastic whistles Geri sells. Any tips for making the whistle work?

Thanks,

Maybe try a different type of whistle? I started with a plastic whistle (mainly because I had it and was waiting for my "real" whistle to arrive), but I now use a half moon metal whistle. I happen to have two of these and the one I don't use is much more difficult to get a good tone out of. I keep it on hand for emergencies but don't willingly use it (the gap in the front--it's handmade--is slightly wider and I think that makes the difference). Maybe you and plastic whistles just don't mix.

J.

Guest PairDogx1.5

This isn't really relevant to quality whistling, but maybe it's interesting. We used to make very good whistles when I was a kid (about 45 years ago) by taking a metal bottle cap, pounding it very flat, then drilled a hole a little offset from center -- a hole maybe 1/8" diameter, or 5/32" -- then folded (bent) the piece exactly in half, leaving it open a bit. You varied your tone by how much your tongue covered the hole.

Of course, we also used to make hydrogen balloons & gunpowder ............................. so if you try it, don't cut yourself smile.gif . <<<---- DISCLAIMER

[This message has been edited by PairDogx1.5 (edited 01-08-2003).]

Just keep trying. Its taken me almost two years to finally be able to make the proper sounds on it. Of course I was not very diligent in practicing. Now my dog is doing outruns at some distance it is mandatory I put him on whistles so he can hear me. Lately I've gotten down the down, walk up and recall whistles and my dog is starting to respond to them. Don't give up, sometimes it just takes a long time to get the hang of it.

JES.

I think the plastic whistles, although the cheapest, are the most difficult to make consistent, good tones with. You might consider trying a whistle made of another material....there are several available commercially. If you tend to grip the whistle with your teeth, you might do better with a half-moon style; if you hold the whistle loosely in your lips, a fortune style (with little wings on the side) may suit you.

And, of course, you might just go ahead and practice whistling with your fingers :rolleyes:

Amy

------------------

Amy Coapman

Montague, in the State of Jefferson

I agree with Amy. Being whistley challenged myself and after listening to thousands of people over the years talk about what whistles do and don't work, I would recommend trying something different than a plastic whistle. I have been whistling for many years and still can't blow a plastic whistle!

The stainless steel ones are easier to blow but don't put them in your mouth at 10 degrees without warming them up first (I know this from experience.) I really like Ray Coapman's buffalo horn ones. They are not cold in your mouth and make a nice sound. I trade back and forth between that and a sterling silver one.

The main thing I find is if one doesn't work, try another. And I am not just saying this because I sell whistles. :rolleyes:

Geri Byrne

Tulelake, CA www.bordercollies.com