BC Boards

Scout has no interst in working..

Scout has no interest in working this little guy, just likes to lick the milk from his face ; )

I tried to get a pic, but he moved each time, so it's just a pic of the little guy.

post-10981-1269524145_thumb.jpg

He does get excited when we are heading out on a jog, but I still haven't been able to break him from pulling on his leash. I hope to make it in to town over the weekend, to pick up a Halti, if not, I will be ordering one soon.

post-10981-1269524214_thumb.jpg

Before you invest in a Halti, what training methods have you utilized to teach him not to pull? There are many alternatives to equipment although you may have tried them already. You might use the search function to check previous topics dealing with "pulling" or other "leash" issues.

Highland County, VA, is a piece of God's most lovely creation. If you haven't been there already, make sure to go to any trial that Don McCaig hosts on his farm, generally in late September or early October. If he is holding one, you will find it listed on the USBCHA website under "trials".

lots of working dog won't work bottle babies or tiny lambs. Doesn't mean they won't work just means they either have to be taught to work bottle babies or you can work lambs with ewes so they get the idea that lambs are real sheep. IMO bottle babies don't seem like sheep to the dogs unless they have lots of expeirience.

Before you invest in a Halti, what training methods have you utilized to teach him not to pull? There are many alternatives to equipment although you may have tried them already. You might use the search function to check previous topics dealing with "pulling" or other "leash" issues.

Highland County, VA, is a piece of God's most lovely creation. If you haven't been there already, make sure to go to any trial that Don McCaig hosts on his farm, generally in late September or early October. If he is holding one, you will find it listed on the USBCHA website under "trials".

Thanks Sue! I've been lurking for awhile and and have seen a few posts about pulling, but did just search again and found some useful information, and may have found the error of my ways. It seems as if I've mainly been using the *let him pull me* method :rolleyes: ..Seriously, I've been trying to stop, wait for him to reset, then start again, but it only seems to work sometimes and sometimes it seems to make him pull harder. I did pick up a no pull harness and retractable leash today, but I think I'll try working with him in the yard instead of going on a full walk like I have been doing.

I'm blessed to live in Highland! The only downfall, is one of the greatest perks, and that is just being so far away from everything. I'm a good hour to hour and a half away from anything. I have yet to go to a trial at Mr. McCaigs, but hope to soon. I understand that he is assisting with training a couple of BC just 3 miles from my house! I hope to sneak down to see that sometime soon!

Thanks again!

I had really good results with this:

Silky Leash

I am very concerned about neck damage, I have a dog with a partially collapsed trachea from poor leash handling (not a Border Collie) so I avoid any method that allows pressure on a neck with him at all. This taught him to yield to the tiniest amount of pressure. Then I tried it on a dog with no neck issues but for whom "be a tree" was a useless thing...and it worked beautifully. I can now walk all 3 together on lead and they don't pull at all.

I used a long stick to break mine from pulling. Everytime he would start to get ahead of me I would put the stick in front of his face and say heal, worked like a charm in one 25 minute walk. I never struck the dog with the stick only put it in front of his face. Maybe I got lucky not sure, but it worked really well for him.

Archived