BC Boards

Tiga tore his ligament :(

So Tiga goes in for surgery on the 20th of April. :rolleyes: Ruptured Anterior Cruciate Repair. It's going to be a long few months for us. I'm nervous and stressed out and all we can really do now is wait. :D :D :D

I understand. My Ru is going through it right now. Not to scare you but be prepared for a bare butt......post-10133-1269892341_thumb.jpg

My dog had a TPLO. I don't regret it one bit. Yes, it was a pain doing the 8 weeks of crate rest. And it was expensive. And I did pay for extensive physical therapy. It was worth every penny and all the days of stess.

My two cents

Jennifer

Thanks everyone. I know in my head that he's going to be ok. I just hate seeing him in pain. He's not getting the TPLO, it's a different procedure then that, but basically the same recovery process. I'm just a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Thanks for posting the picture of Ru! I think that would have been a big surprise. Ru looks a heck of a lot like Tiga! Big hugs to you both!

Our Black Lab tore her torn cruciate ligament and it wa $1500.00 with 3 follow-up visits done by Dr Hasselbeck here at the emergency Vets Hospital, they use fishing line to tighten up the joint or repair the cruciate ligament, and the hardest part was keeping her from pulling out the staples but she recovered well till the cancer in the right rear leg put her down. Good luck.

Yeah when it's all said and done we're looking at about $2000. Same procedure with the fishing line. We have insurance so we're waiting to hear if we're pre-approved and they may be able to send partial payment to the vet so that we don't have to come up with it all on our own. The biggest challenge is keeping him quiet. He doesn't think he's hurt so he keeps trying to run around as usual. Things will slow down for me at work starting tomorrow so we'll be working on training him to slow down on the stairs and playing some quiet games.

Yeah when it's all said and done we're looking at about $2000. Same procedure with the fishing line. We have insurance so we're waiting to hear if we're pre-approved and they may be able to send partial payment to the vet so that we don't have to come up with it all on our own. The biggest challenge is keeping him quiet. He doesn't think he's hurt so he keeps trying to run around as usual. Things will slow down for me at work starting tomorrow so we'll be working on training him to slow down on the stairs and playing some quiet games.

My spaniel, Simon, had both knees done with the fishing line method. He recovered quickly and is now a 16 year old that can still walk! He had them done at 1 and 2 years of age. I was very reluctant to get the TPLO method for Ru, but I was told that there isn't any doctors doing the fishing line method anymore. I would have rather had it done that way because they do not cut into the bone -- they drill into the bone but it is minor compared to the cutting done in the TPLO surgery. Last Friday, to my horror, when I took Ru in to the vet for xrays, he had broken his femur where the screws go through the bone! The vet said that it happens some times, but the pain of it had me horrified. Ru is now on some pretty strong pain relievers and puppy prozac.

I wish you much luck with the method that you are using and wish that I had done the same. I'm not so sure about the TPLO.......any opinions out there.........

Wow, poor Ru. :rolleyes: I hope he recovers quickly. I broke my femur when I was young so I can sympathize with the poor little guy.

Here it's the opposite. In order to have the TPLO done we'd have to travel and spend about double the amount of money. My vet generally recommends it in dogs over 80lbs. She does the fishing line method herself.

Here's hoping we all have speedy and relatively pain-free reocveries.

Archived