BC Boards

First Trial

Olivia

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of entering my border collie, Carlie, in her first novice trial in a couple of weeks. It is a local, pretty small trial and our trainer thinks she is more than ready for it. I just want to get through it without embarassing my dog!

Any advice for the first trial?

Thanks,

Olivia

Olivia,

before you trial, run a full course at home like you would at a trial. Do this a few times. Then go to the trial and run your dog like you did at home with the goal of completing the course. Everyone has their first trial, it's a starting point.

At my first trial I sent my dog then went totally blank, in total awe of her outrun and fetch and I wasn't mentally there when the sheep got to my feet. This allowed the sheep to escape to the exhaust. In hindsight I should not have been awe struck by June's outrun and fetch, after all she had won Oatlands Open Sheep Dog trial with Nathan Mooney.

Good luck and try to enjoy yourself. Remember, everyone there has had their first trial too. It's just a starting point.

------------------

Mark Billadeau

[This message has been edited by Pipedream Farm (edited 09-30-2002).]

One thing that can strike a dog as strange and sometimes upsetting is having the setout crew at the top of the field.

Often times we practice and train by ourselves so the dog might become upset about people at the top of the field.

If you haven't already, spend a couple of sessions having a friend(s) stand up the field preferrably with another dog so your dog can get used to lifting sheep with strangers standing around.

Years ago, my first border collie's (and my) first novice trial was a disaster.....she started a very nice away side outrun but when she got close to the first setout person she stopped cold and looked hard at the person. Then she decided to cross over to the comebye side and came across the second setout person, hunkered down with a hat and sunglasses. She stopped cold again, looked at the person for a sec and gave a spooky woof. Then she decided that the only way to get up the field without running into scary people was to continue up the middle! The rest of the run went downhill from there.

Now this particular dog has had people problems from the beginning, but it would be a good idea to accustom your dog to expect people at the top.

My 2 cents

Elizabeth

Olivia,

Remember that, as with all animal-related competitions, you will lose some percentage of your at-home performance when you step on the trial field. Be prepared for, and don't be surprised by, things your dog might do her first time in a trial. It's a new place, a new and stressful situation (including a handler who is feeling the stress of competition), new sheep, etc., all of which will affect your dog's performance.

I think the biggest problem I have had with young dogs or dogs new to trialling (and remember I'm a novice myself, so take this for what it's worth) is the dog's reaction to the fact that there's a human anda dog out there in the way (in her mind) of her getting the sheep. So even if you don't practice a trial course at home (and I'm sure folks are divided on opinions as to whether this kind of practice is good or bad), at least try to have someone hold the sheep for you, preferably with a dog, so your dog can get used to lifting sheep off another person (and passing another dog to do so).

My goal used to be to get the sheep to my feet and then worry about the wear and pen. If the trial is a novice trial or small local trial, ask the judge in the handler's meeting if you will be allowed to finish the course (without a score) if you leave the post to help your dog. And by all means, no matter what the answer, leave the post to help your dogif things start going badly. And leaving the post doesn't mean to saunter down the field yelling at your dog. Run like the wind--because someone else's sheep (their livelihood) are included in this equation. That's not meant to scare you, but young and/or novice dogs can do stupid things when under stress. It's your job to get things back under control and ensure that no one gets hurt in the process.

Watch the runs ahead of yours so you can see where the draws are and how the sheep are reacting to the dogs. That way you'll have a better idea of what to expect when you step out there with your dog. If you successfully pen the sheep, but don't trust your dog not to blow into them once you let them back out, leave the pen shut and put a leash on your dog before opening the gate. At least around here, the trial organizers have someone exhaust sheep for the novice class, so once you've completed your pen, make sure you have your dog under contrl so that she doesn't interfere with the exhaust dog.

And besides all that, have fun! Trialling is contagious, as you'll soon find out. Good luck!

J.

Guest Charles Torre

Oh yeah, let me add one more thing.

I've learned the hard way that a dog will not typically perform at a trial to a standard that matches what you might be seeing "at home". I've been advised that even top open dogs will only give you at a trial, say, 70% of what you know they should be able to do. (I guess this means that you need your dog performing at 140% at home if you want a really fine trial run. Honest.) So, if your dog has a weak spot (and most novice dogs do), e.g., slices in at the top of the outrun, fetches too fast, etc., don't hope that luck will be with you that day and your dog will be able to do something that he/she hasn't mastered at home. Somehow you have to be prepared to keep your dog out of those trouble spots as best you can. Be conservative.

Looking back at my long, not-so-illustrious 2 years of trying this stuff, I feel very strongly that the best dogs are the ones that can quickly figure out a new situation and, in particular, new sheep without losing too much of their good habits. It's no coincidence that the best bred dogs have this ability. As for the handler, well...

Of course, all the good advice you've gotten in the other posts will sound just fine to you before the trial. And, of course, your mind will likely be a complete blank when you send your dog from the post. No matter how your run turns out, you have accomplished infinitely more than those that haven't taken that long walk to the post. So, maybe the best advice I've heard is: "Remember to breathe."

charlie

[This message has been edited by Charles Torre (edited 09-30-2002).]

Hey Olivia,

Just want to reinforce a couple of things already said...

"remember to breathe" is VERY important!

and, leaving the post to help your dog is the best advice you'll get... don't be embarrassed, your leaving the post, if necessary, will win you a HUGE level of respect from the judge and other, more advanced handlers. I have seen top ten open handlers leave when needed -- the dog needs to be aware that you won't tolerate bad work.

one other thing, don't argue about your score -- especially if you think it's too HIGH! At my first trial with Misty, the judge did NOT see her cross over at my feet on the the outrun -- or wasn't sure. When I saw my score, I went to the trial secretary and told her she'd posted the wrong numbers -- points off rather than points kept. She said "Colin, shut up, he didn't see it, it didn't happen!" Not my favorite way to win a trial, but the two day champion trophy is still on the mantle!

oh, one other thing, be sure to walk the course... go to the wear panels, look back at the post, pick out a landmark to give you the line for the wear -- a tree, an odd fence post, something that you can line up on... you'll probably be walking backwards and that way you'll have a reference for the line...

oh -- HAVE FUN!

CCnNC

Guest Charles Torre

Ah, memories...some pleasant...some excruciating...

How about this one: Make sure you know how to open the pen! As the run before you ends, see how the previous handler closed things up. If/when you make it to the pen, you won't be in any mood for IQ tests.

charlie

Oh Charlie..yes those memories.

Last trial I was at I knew I was in trouble the minute I saw the set out person *trying* to set out my sheep.

Two thought they were deer and the other two thought they were dead!

The deer kept trying to bolt off for the exhaust..the two dead ones tried to meander back to the holding pens.

I still don't know how I did it but we got those suckers around the course. BUT when I got to the pen I could not open the gate, I was tugging at it with both hands and it would not open.

Judge sent someone out..they had to go get a hammer to get it open..

Ended up in fourth place on the score board..First place in my eyes..especially when an open handler came up to me and remarked what a great job we did with those sheep.

Tried to buy those sheep..was thinking of a BIG bar-b-que!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

We have been practicing with set out people and dogs so I hope she knows by now that she can take the sheep away and bring them to me, not them.

She has a very nice outrun and lift but tends to fetch kinda fast but still in control. Working on it at home and its getting better, can control it now.

This trial is small enough that I was informed that leaving the post to help your dog is fine. I guess everyone needs a good point to start and learn so maybe this is ours.

Thanks,

Olivia