BC Boards

Sheep rental

Amy

Okay guys..I have a strange one for you. I'm getting calls from church's wanting to rent sheep for Christmas mass.

Now I rent alot of ponies for Christmas mass..Mary rides the pony as they re-enact the birth of Jesus..It usually is at night..the going rate is quite high as the pony must be bomb proof and I have to stay and handle the pony between "scenes".

Now back to the sheep..I would have my pen to contain them in..but I would need my dog to handle the sheep..which I have explained to them..This has not deterred them. They are willing to rent me, sheep, pony, and dog for the night. Now for my question any ideas on what to charge? Does anyone know the going rate for sheep and dog at mass?

You,sheep and the pony are free (good cause) but the dog...now,that's got to be a sky high price.

When I get called for farm works (tracking/ fetching or loading stray sheep/goats) price is now up to $100.00 per dog. For cattle work,I'm paying them about $15.00.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net

When I get called for farm works (tracking/ fetching or loading stray sheep/goats) price is now up to $100.00 per dog. For cattle work,I'm paying them about $15.00.

>>

Oh Inci, you are going about it all wrong. You need to do what I do. Have rancher friends that want vistors (hey, its lonely out there in the boonies). Drive up there for the weekend, get free bed and breakfast, go chase cows, help feed, help brand, help chase some more cows. Then invariably, there's always some roping steers or calves that just happen to be handy for dogs to work. If you are really lucky, you will hear the magic words- "one" good dog is allowed to come gather cows as long as it stays out of the way.

Some hard work (the kind thats fun to do) but doesn't cost a penny.

As for renting sheep... I'd make a list of the gas, time and effort it would take to do so and assign a dollar value to each, add $5 per head and double it.

Or consider getting a receipt from them for the value and writing it off as a charitable effort.

Make sure that it is outside.

I donated lambs usage for the nativity scene for a church service.

Lambs were not housebroken. The lambs also did not like the marble floors going to the pen.

I walked the lambs down the aisle to the pen. A dog herding in a church was a little much for me.

Did not do it again.

Bottle baby lambs are good for these kind of things.

This could be a real ho ho ho.

What I've done in the past is to ask them to make a donation to one of their good works in my name and then I write it off. Generally this works OK, but I've also had the experience where because our services are "free" they do not to value/recognize the time and effort involved and it's frustrating. So you may want to charge a token amount even if you decide not to "really" charge (same goes for animals - I've always been told to charge "something" if you want your animals to be treated well).

Bottle lambs will make your life 100% easier. Great chance to educate a part of the public that may not come to demos and Highland Games and also a great way to put yourself in the holiday spirit.

Kim

------------------

Black Dog Farm

http://www.blackdogfarm.com

Thanks everyone! These are not just nativity scences these are on par with a broadway production!

Therefore I charge and I charge well.

You think lambs on a marble floor are bad..try watching "Jesus" ride your pony down the aisle of church in the Easter Pagent! Talk about praying..

Anyway these people have decided that they want a "real shepherd" in their production and made me an offer that is considerable more then Inci's $100.

Looks like my dog and I will spend Christmas Eve tending our flock of sheep. Oh yes dog has been asked to stay for the church service after the preformance.

This should be a real experience!

I wouldn't feel bad about charging well for my time, effort, and expertise. Think what the show would be like (not to mention the cost) if they had to go buy sheep and wrangle them themselves.

I've never had a church want me to do that, but I've had them want to "borrow" them(aka, I haul them in and out, feed, clean up, etc. for free) for nativity scenes for up to a month - inside!

I guess I'm not charitable enough - stressed me and sick sheep just didn't seem worth it to me. I did offer to sell them some lambs - they weren't interested unless they were free. You must have a higher caliber of churches out where you are.