BC Boards

The name thing

Okay, I understand the theory behind using the dogs name only in positive way. However, in real life, when one of the critters is doing wrong, I will just automatically yell their name! Now, I am planning on getting a pup this spring/summer so I am going to try the theory out with it. At this point however, if I yell at Cheyenne about something, say, her barking at nothing, Jackson reacts as if I am yelling at him. If I am trying to get Jackson to do something, Cheyenne will come over and go belly up, like what do you want. So I am trying to get Jackson to do something, Cheyenne is right there belly up, I try to get Cheyenne to move away, so then Jackson moves away! Now, that said, if I am feeding them tidbits, if I say, Cheyenne, Jackson knows it is for her and does not try to get it, if I say Jackson, Cheyenne will wait and Jackson knows it is for him. So where do I reconcile all this? It's like, they know their names, but it's like if it's a negative situation, the other figures they must be in trouble too. Even though I have done reasurances to the other dog. If it is positive the other dog comes around to see what they can get too!

Cheyenne is pretty smart, she knows a lot of words and commands. Jackson is also smart but way more so than Cheyenne. But they both don't deal with being desciplined well. Cheyenne just belly's up, Jackson goes to his hidey hole under the bench.

So when I bring the new pup in, and do the name theory, how will the other two react? And will the new pup react like them?

So when I bring the new pup in, and do the name theory, how will the other two react? And will the new pup react like them?

I think it's all in their makeup Jewel cowers when I yell at anyone here kids included. Even if I yell directly at Dal He will stop the behavior but, he isnt the least bit scared or traumatized by it. He's almost curious about it.