BC Boards

New addition to the Board

post-10956-1266011077_thumb.jpgpost-10956-1266011088_thumb.jpgpost-10956-1266011088_thumb.jpgSo I just went into my profile to try and put pictures in (which I couldn't figure out) and then I clicked on the friends tab. I found that I have no friends.... :rolleyes:

Well I have an 8 month old BC/Blue Heeler. Probably the best addition to my life besides google. I have been working with him trying to develope him to become my frisbee dog and I am excited about all the information on this board.

I am been reading some of the stories and I just absolutely love it here. Thank you to eveyone.

A question I have though. I've been working on recall with Toby and in a post I read that you should never call him over for something that he won't want to do (I.E. being put in the kennel, coming in from outside, putting his leash back on him). Is there a better way to have him go in the kennel or the other things without calling him over to me? Maybe going and getting him? IDK, I just really want him to be the greatest dog in the entire world.

I hear that if you don't put pictures up you're a bad person. :D But I can't figure it out... wait... I just did.

I need to get current photos of him. I will soon.

post-10956-1266011100_thumb.jpg

post-10956-1266011107_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the boards. Good pics! :D

As for calling Toby, I think it's that you're not supposed to use their name to call them for something unpleasant. I think. :rolleyes: You'll get lots of good advice here. Sometimes even from me. :D

A question I have though. I've been working on recall with Toby and in a post I read that you should never call him over for something that he won't want to do (I.E. being put in the kennel, coming in from outside, putting his leash back on him). Is there a better way to have him go in the kennel or the other things without calling him over to me? Maybe going and getting him? IDK, I just really want him to be the greatest dog in the entire world.

For something like the kennel it's pretty easy just to throw a yummy treat into the kennel as you ask him to go in. Mine even love the idea of kibble so I just throw several pieces in when I kennel them - makes it really simple. My dogs eagerly go to their kennels when asked.

ETA - and Welcome!!

When I am calling a dog in to do something they may not like I just make sure that I do something fun before we do what they may not like. like have some tasty treats, play some tug then go do the unpleasant task, my dog loves her crate and doesn't see it as something bad (she gets raw bones in there, and kongs with peanut butter and bully sticks) so I just say the word kennel and she runs in there! As far as something she hates which is pretty much just baths I just go get her and take her into the tub. Everything else that might be unpleasant I have tried to make a non-issue or fun (nail trims are more massage with a nail snip here and there, and not an issue), coming inside always means a tasty treat or a game of tug.

Welcome Toby's dad! :rolleyes: I'm new here too! Lots to learn that's for sure. Your boy is gorgeous!

Great advice given in this thread already. I would like to add too that when you do put his leash back on, don't make it end there - put his leash on and continue to play a game of tug, continue to do focus work, in fact with my youngest I will keep throwing the frisbee after the leash is on (NOT far, only a few feet so that he cannot hurt himself, he's only taking a couple steps at best). This will ensure that they don't look at being put on the leash as a negative. Being on leash won't mean that the fun ends :D

I do do flyball with my pups and so they all get alot of tug work which is great to transfer into so many training situations, recall being one of the most important.

Welcome ! Tip: Dont call your dog ( by his name or any other name ) for anything that he might find unpleasant. Just go get him. Like everybody else mentioned , work on your recalls , rewarding him when he comes with something he really likes . I dont mean a low value treat , I mean something he absolutely craves , like a game of tug or a leftover piece of steak . Only use those high value treats for this game , dont play tug with him any other time , until his recalls become reliable. Maybe you could look into puppy classes .

Archived