BC Boards

How to tech NOT to herd....

My foster dog has a very strong herding instinct. It's all good but he herds my four dogs and at the same time snaps at them, hard. We can't play fetch unless Alex is locked away. How can I stop his behaviour? Alex is a very sweet loving dog but he is just so in your face with mine and it's only when they're running. I surely can't stop that.

I tried a search on this topic but found nothing. I have never experienced this behavior before so that's why I'm asking for advise.

Maybe a lobotomy? :rolleyes: Okay, okay.

You could put him on a long line, and start out by playing fetch a short distance. That way you can physically control what he does along with verbal commands. You can teach him not to "herd" the other dogs, but depending on how long he's been doing it, it can take awhile. If he is a foster, then I take it the idea is to get him to a permanent home and him NOT herding other dogs will help! Hopefully, being able to stop him with the long line along with verbal commands, eventually you can just do it with verbal commands.

Personally, I would confine the dog while playing with the others and give him his own separate playtime.

I have to do that with Maddie sometimes because she likes to tackle Speedy when he is playing ball.

Can you possibly put a long line on the rescue and play fetch as normal, while holding the line (which would let the foster go as far as the ball, assuming he/she didn't act up)... when the foster goes in to herd and nip, tighten the line (so the other dogs can keep running and playing, and the foster is brought to a stop) while giving a verbal command? Then you can reel in the foster when the others come back and do it again and again, until the lesson learned is - when I do that, it is game over for me... if I want to play, I have to not nip and herd??

Hopefully, this would enable you to teach the command at the distance you need to teach it at... I guess my only concern would be hurting the dog, but when Wes runs after a squirrel or something on a leash, he goes full force and is stopped by virtue of the fact that I don't let go of the leash - it doesn't seem to bother him a bit...