BC Boards

Behaviour change in Jazz

KrisK

Jazz has always been a good house dog. I've never had problems with housetraining, etc. However, in the last couple of weeks, he has taken to counter surfing - something he NEVER did...ever! A couple of weeks ago, he got a muffin and partial loaf of banana bread....last night, an entire loaf of bread (which we got away from him before he managed to consume the whole thing.) Where he used to 'lick' the floor....he is now 'washing' the floor and mats in the kitchen! He's eating fine but I've had to put his food in an icecube tray to keep him from wolfing...something he didn't do before either.

Other than these things, he's his usual self with no change in his behaviours. Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Should I be looking at changing his diet since it appears that grains are what he's seeking? He didn't bother my DH's stir fry with chicken and shrimp!!

Missy has always been the perfect indoor dog, but now that she is nearing 11 she has taken to getting into the trash and pulling stuff off the counters when I'm gone. She's gotten much more excited about food as well, but I thought this might be due to the fact she perceives she has more competition then she used to.

I think I'd get a blood panel done to make sure there's nothing organic going on that is causing the change in appetite. There are some diseases/conditions (diabetes for one) that could cause an unexplained increase in appetite. I have several geriatrics here, and I genereally err on the side of caution rather than just assuming a behavior change is an "old age thing."

J.

I second the opinion to have bloodwork done - hopefully it's something minor but if it's diabestes or something similar, catching it earlier may make it easier to treat and prevent any complications. Please keep us updated and I'll think good thoughts for both of you.

I second the opinion to have bloodwork done - hopefully it's something minor but if it's diabestes or something similar, catching it earlier may make it easier to treat and prevent any complications. Please keep us updated and I'll think good thoughts for both of you.

I third the bloodwork suggestion. Any other symptoms?

I agree with the various tests suggested - that said, my oldster (she'll be 14 in less than a month) has been tested for most everything, she's had some liver issues, but has become an absolute chow-hound. She doesn't counter-surf, but ANYtime I'm in the kitchen, she is totally underfoot, and will eat anything I drop - including things like carrot pieces that she never used to eat. I think the "obsession" with food CAN be an age-related thing - but I'd rule out any health issues before accepting that.

diane

thanks everyone, I'll definitely get him in for some bloodwork. I do have insurance for him. Hopefully, he is just being an old fart! and there won't be any health issues. In the meantime, the counters are going to be VERY clean :rolleyes: