BC Boards

Picky Eater

I was just wondering if BC's go through a picky phase. Yesterday he didnt want to eat, he just sniffed the food and walked away and the same with dinner. Today he ate maybe half the amount of his normal feedings and the same with dinner. he is active as can be, no diarrhea, parvo negative, giardia negative. So since medically he seems to be just fine, are BC's picky eaters? he is 8 months old only table food he has got was a few carrots and a few pieces of apples. any thoughts?

Well, at my house any of my chow hounds refusing food would be cause for a hysterical call to the vet. :rolleyes: But I know not all dogs are such pigs. Quinn never refused food and the only time he picked at it was when he had coccidia at 9 or 10 weeks.

A couple of things to think about with your guy. Is there any chance something could be wrong with his food? Kibble can go bad as can other types of food. Next thought is if this is a sudden change in his behavior, that could be a sign that something is wrong despite currently acting fine otherwise. Has he ever picked at his food before? How would you describe his appetite in general? If he is still picking at his food or refusing it (especially if he is refusing it), I'd call the vet tomorrow (feel free to skip the hysteria) just to see what they think. Sometimes they can miss a parasite the first time they check.

Let us know how things go.

I'd only be worried if your pup had been a big eater before and has changed his habits. Also, as the others said, it may depend on what you're feeding. Have you changed his diet recently? If neither of the above apply, I'd take him to the vet. My farm collie has always been a picky eater and would often go a day or two without eating. However, she has been that way for the past 13 years--at this point I'd worry if she suddenly developed a big appetite!

My dog has been like that for the first three years of his life. He's four now - and since we switched to Taste of the Wild last year he's regained his appetite. Still skipps a meal here and there, but feeding him is no longer the big drama it used to be. Small drama sometimes :rolleyes:

Sam is also a picky eater, he gets kirkland brand kibble the chicken and rice. as his regular food and in reality it makes no difference what kibble he's been on he's not enthusiatic about it... can't say I blam him it's got to be kinda dull to eat... anyhoo to make a long story short in order to entice him to eat I add a 1/4 cup of cooked hamburger and brown rice mixed in with a few bits of shreddded cheese ... this seems to please his royal fussyness as he'll condecend to eat it... Sometimes I chop up chicken or had a boiled egg.... for a change but he's not an enthustiastic eater, never has been. he eats at his own pace which is something between dead stop and extreemly slow all while managing to look as if he is being punished... the martared look I get is something to behold!! I am a cruel and heartless human.... but if I have a toy..... the love and adoration is overwhelming lmao......

Sam is also a picky eater, he gets kirkland brand kibble the chicken and rice. as his regular food and in reality it makes no difference what kibble he's been on he's not enthusiatic about it... can't say I blam him it's got to be kinda dull to eat... anyhoo to make a long story short in order to entice him to eat I add a 1/4 cup of cooked hamburger and brown rice mixed in with a few bits of shreddded cheese ... this seems to please his royal fussyness as he'll condecend to eat it... Sometimes I chop up chicken or had a boiled egg.... for a change but he's not an enthustiastic eater, never has been. he eats at his own pace which is something between dead stop and extreemly slow all while managing to look as if he is being punished... the martared look I get is something to behold!! I am a cruel and heartless human.... but if I have a toy..... the love and adoration is overwhelming lmao......

LOL you just described Ouzo's meal times :rolleyes: Sometimes the evil "cat" or "coyote" is inovoked as an aleternative customer interested in the food - that seems to stir a bit of interest in coming over to the kitchen to check if indeed someone else might want his food. And often a ball/toy is brought and placed next to the food dish, always within eye sight.

Thank you for the replies!

Lynus eats Orijen 6 fish. My thought is possibly the bag went bad?... ive only had the bag open for maybe 2 weeks (my cats try to eat it more than he has been). 1/2 of the bag goes in an air tight container and the other half stays tightly closed. He has always been a great eater, gobbles up his bowl in no time... tomorrow i will be getting a different food, still orijen but im going to try a different flavor... he acts the same but just doesnt want his food... so if tomorrow fails with the different food then its for sure off to the vet! i will let you know if this works!

How long do you guys keep a bag of food open? ive heard no longer than a month is recommended... and ive also just heard that containers are not good to store food?

I have an airtight container for my dog food. Not sure why they'd be bad storage options. The only time plastic is bad for humans is when we heat stuff up in it, or it gets hot (dishwasher, microwave etc.).

I had a heck of a time finding food my dog would eat when she was young. It was terrible. I tried over 12 different kinds before she was 2. Finally Orijen 6 fish did the trick, I have to change it up sometimes though. She goes through phases. Right now we're feeding her Go! Natural. It's pretty good and she eats it pretty quick. I would make sure there is nothing wrong with your little guy though... just incase.

I keep some food in plastic storage containers and do my best to make the bag holding the rest of the food as air tight as possible.

Hope your guy does better on the new food. Since this is such a change from his normal appetite, I agree with going to the vet if he still doesn't want to eat today. Keep us updated.

I have an airtight container for my dog food. Not sure why they'd be bad storage options.

Apparently the fat (sometimes sprayed on the kibble) in the dog food (and other foods, presumably) has the potential to leach chemicals out of the plastic. I store dog food in plastic containers, but I make sure they're all human food grade plastic containers (e.g., I have one in which doughnut filling was shipped to Dunkin' Donuts--have had it for years--and another in which mushrooms were shipped to a restaurant) as one would hope that they would not contain leachable toxic chemicals.

For partial bags, I fold/roll the bag down very tightly and place a spring clamp on it to keep it closed tight.

To the OP,

I have had a picky eater, but she was *always* picky and recently has been eating better than ever (now that she's going on 4 years old), although she ignored her breakfast this morning for some reason. She was loving Premium Edge and then I switched to CA Naturals (both fish based) and she just hasn't been as enthusiastic about the new food, which most folks would actually consider the better food of the two. But I wanted to switch off of Diamond products for a while, so she's going to have to muddle through with the CA Naturals.

My pup is also sometimes picky and often will eat only a small portion (or none at all) of his breakfast, and then eat well the rest of the day. I had his mother here and actually whelped the litter. She used to drive me crazy because she also would often refuse her breakfast, even when quite pregnant and probably in need of all the nutrition she could get. At least two of the pups in the litter of three seem inclined to be less than enthusiastic about the first meal of the day, but because their mother was that way, I don't worry about them.

That said, all of my other dogs are hoover vacuums when it comes to food. If any of them turned their noses up at food, I'd be on the phone to the vet. I have a friend whose dog is an enthusiastic eater as well (she's the mother and grandmother to some of mine) and one day she went off her food. My friend rushed her to the vet and she was operated on for pyometra and was very, very sick. The only obvious symptom was the dog's refusal to eat one day. I'm not telling this story to scare you, but to point out that there's a difference between dogs who are normally picky eaters and those who are normally enthusiastic about their food. If you have one of the latter and it suddenly stops eating, then I'd think a trip to the vet is in order.

J.

where do you keep his food? I recall talking to a lady we brings to dog to the kennl I work at..she feeds Orrijen as well, and her chow hound suddenly started refusing it..turned out it was because she the place she stored the bin of food was too warm, and it caused the food to go bad pretty fast, she got a new bag, and stores the food in a in a colder area and hasnt an an issue since :rolleyes:

Yeah he gobbled his food up like no tomorrow!

Thank you for all your input all of it was much helpful! I purchased the orijen regional red and he loved it. So maybe I'll just stick with the regional red and see if it happens again. And I really don't think I'm going to buy any larger bag than a 6 lbs because I think the orijen food doesn't last too long. Oh well I am happy that he is eating now so I'm not gonna complain! :0)

as for the food container I guess since I'm getting small bags now no Need for them and plus the small bags have the zip lock seal.

Anywho I thank you all again for the help and getting me through my stressful week!