BC Boards

Martingale collar dimensions?

I’m thinking about making Cerbie a custom martingale style collar or leash/collar combo. I don’t much like most of the stuff I see commercially here in PHX. They are usually either over built, made of substandard materials or have way too many buckles, etc. on them. I want simple, light weight and safe and comfy for him. Given that I have sewn my own custom rock climbing, whitewater kayaking, sailing and skydiving gear for over 20 years, I have developed some skillz in this area. This will also allow me to change the collar as he grows. What I don’t know (yet) are the design parameters. How long should the main collar be, slot ring to slot ring, in comparison to his neck size?

I have made adjustable nylon quick release collars for my dogs. Looked for a martingale pattern. Didn't find one but did find ordering instructions for custom collars. They were using chain for the adjustable part and a 4 inch spread. The main collar was a loop to loop measurement taken tight right behind the dogs ears. Theirs was not adjustable but it wouldn't be difficult to add that. DH has taken up kayaking.

Jenny

Slot ring to slot ring should be slightly less than the actual neck measurement, if the intent is to use the collar as a restraint device. If the two pieces touch, the collar is too loose. When the slot rings are drawn together, there should be equally applied pressure all around the circumference of the neck; if the collar is too loose, uneven (excessive) pressure is applied to the front of the throat, which can harm the dog. Martingale collars typically have cloth (nylon) consticting loops, while comparable collars with chain links are commonly referred to as "check-choke" collars (although they are also sometimes referred to as "Martingale Check-Choke" collars). Both styles are readily available in adjustable configurations at pet stores and veterinarians' offices, and buying an "off the shelf" item can take the guesswork out of the process, as well as provide flexibility for future needs for adjustments.

UK APDT advice on fitting martingale/half check collars.

They should be fitted so that when tightened the two rings actually meet around the dog’s neck, with sufficient space for two fingers to be slipped against the neck, under the collar in exactly the same way as a flat collar would be fitted. This ensures that the Half Check collar cannot be used as a choke collar when the lead tightens.

However, if fitted so that the two rings do not meet Half check collars can of course be used to copy the unpleasant and painful action of a full choke chain.

Pam

However, if fitted so that the two rings do not meet Half check collars can of course be used to copy the unpleasant and painful action of a full choke chain.

I must respectfully strongly dispute that statement, with respect to the "unpleasant and painful" assertion. The Martingale and check-choke collars, if properly fitted, do NOT copy the actions and downsides of a full choke chain. In a "pulling" situation, a full choke chain can continue to constrict until it seriously injures or kills a dog. A properly fitted Martingale-style collar, with minimal space between the slot rings, puts a slight constriction evenly dispersed around the neck when fully closed, causing perhaps minor discomfort if a dog is pulling full force but not enough to cause the dog serious pain or injury. In the case of a "pulling" dog, the collar is in fact safer than a standard buckle collar, as a standard collar places all the force on the front of the throat (NOT a good thing, according to my vet); the advantages over a full choke or spike collar should self-evident. On the other hand, a properly fitted Martingale collar normally fits over the head of a dog when fully opened (easy to get on and off, if you remove the dog's collar when it is in the house, as I do); if the dog's collar gets hung up on something, the dog can slide its head out and reduce exposure to injury (something that a buckle collar does not offer). My vet recommends Martingale collars (the check-chokes are fine, but she believes that the cloth loop of the Martingale that lies on the neck when the collar is open is more comfortable for the dog than the chain of a check-choke), and based on her recommendation I have used them for many years.

A properly fitted Martingale-style collar, with minimal space between the slot rings, puts a slight constriction evenly dispersed around the neck when fully closed, causing perhaps minor discomfort if a dog is pulling full force but not enough to cause the dog serious pain or injury.

Correct, where the emphasis should be on "properly fitted". Almost any type of collar can be a problem if it's not correctly fitted. Another matter is that I would never use the leash directly on the collar of a dog that is a serious puller. I use a front clip harness until the dog has learned better manners.

A properly fitted Martingale-style collar, with minimal space between the slot rings, puts a slight constriction evenly dispersed around the neck when fully closed, causing perhaps minor discomfort if a dog is pulling full force.

A martingale that causes constriction is not fitted properly.

They were originally designed as an alternative to a normal flat collar for dogs with narrow heads, not to deliver an aversive sensation, however mild, to a dog that pulls.

Pam

Another matter is that I would never use the leash directly on the collar of a dog that is a serious puller. I use a front clip harness until the dog has learned better manners.

Point taken. In my case, my preference for the Martingale lies in the fact that, in the event of a sudden unexpected charge (for instance, after a squirrel) that comes to an abrupt stop, the uniform pressure around the neck reduces the exposure to injury for the dog (although the same may not be the case for my arm). Annie is not a serious puller, but I still feel more comfortable with a Martingale than with a standard collar.