BC Boards

Beginner livestock training in NC

galwaygirl

Hello all, first post on this site. I have a 4 mo old female border collie pup and I am beginning to look into my options for training. She is my first border collie but not my first dog. I am quite familiar with the breed and as far as I can tell she has fantastic instincts, which should be expected since both her parents are working cattle dogs. She seems to have a strong 'herding' drive without the 'chasing' or 'biting' drive that you sometimes see now. Anyways, I was unsure which direction I was going to go with her training but the older she gets, the more obvious it becomes that she would be happiest working livestock.

So my first question is, does anyone know any trainers in the Raleigh or Greensboro area that work with border collies? I found one in Raleigh on the internet but read that they only train loose eyed dogs which certainly would not include border collies.

Next question, what age do most people start this kind of training? It seems like the actual training should wait until she's older for her safety and that of the other animals, but should she be introduced to livestock sooner?

And my final question, is it common or possible to have a working livestock dog also trained and competitive in agility? It seems like one shouldn't interfere with the other too much, since the concepts are completely different.

Thanks!

Welcome! There are a few people near (or nearish) to that area who are active here, and who would make either wonderful instructors or would be able to give great references to someone(s) else more local to you. One is Robin French (Shoofly - you can find her website) and the other is Julie Poudrier. I am sure you will hear from one or both here, and can check out Robin's excellent website.

Finding a good trainer (for you and your dog) is the smartest thing you can do. Best wishes!

• 1 month later...
Hi - Your pup is really too young to train yet but give me a shout.

At what age do you consider introductory lessons?

I am new here did not mean to steal the thread

I have a 10 month old BC he was a rehome I have not met the parents or any bloodline info on him

He came from cattle farm in Texas where the bitch was killed by a cow kick in the head (nice) so he

was taken in by a friend of mine then given to me around 4 months of age.

I live in NC

10 months old is a very good age to try him out. Once we see how he does, the decision to go on or to wait can be made. My contact info is in my signature below. Where are you in NC? I'll be gone to a sheepdog trial this weekend so won't be checking these boards, so you might want to email me.

10 months old is a very good age to try him out. Once we see how he does, the decision to go on or to wait can be made. My contact info is in my signature below. Where are you in NC? I'll be gone to a sheepdog trial this weekend so won't be checking these boards, so you might want to email me.

YGM thanks