BC Boards

City Dog- With Salty Paws

Hi-

Winter has finally hit us and we have snow and ice on the ground. Of course the salt has come out all over the sidewalks and Shiloh is learning all about snow vs. salt! This is his first winter- and he loves the snow!

Yesterday I noticed that he was lifting up his legs a little extra with every step- like he didn't want to touch down for too long. I cant be sure if it was the cold or the salt that is bothering him. Now we are trying to figure out what would be best for him. The options that we are considering are - booties (which are our last choice), washing paws after every walk (easy enough, we usually do that already), or letting him tough it out in order to toughen up his paws against cold and salt. I just want him to be comfortable in the long run.

I would really appreciate some advice!

Yesterday I noticed that he was lifting up his legs a little extra with every step- like he didn't want to touch down for too long. I cant be sure if it was the cold or the salt that is bothering him.

Salt melts snow and ice, but in the process lowers the temperature (that's why salt / ice mix was used for making ice-cream). Salted sidewalks are a pain (literally) for dogs. Avoid them if you can.

When I lived in Philly, the dogs wore booties when the salt and ice got bad. I tried paw balms but they'd lick them off.

www.dogbooties.com

Super cheap, made for sled dogs. I bought six per dog so I'd be able to replace lost booties, but they never lost these as they fit very well.

I started this thread LAST winter. :rolleyes:

Buddy has issues with fresh snow - like the first day or two after it falls. Then, the snowball effect is gone and (I assume) the salt washes off the road.

I bought cheapo booties, which tore open within a few days, then upgraded to some fairly intense ones I got off eBay. Meh. It just didn't end up being worth the effort of putting them on, tracking them down when they got pulled off in deep snow, etc..

I ended up buying Musher's Secret. It seems to work well, and Buddy enjoys its menthol-y taste. :D I just smear it on before we go out, and it seems to keep the snowballs from forming, as well as keeping salt out of little cuts and cracks.

I got a fairly large container, and still have about 1/3 left after using it for an entire winter.

Mary

We just got back from the pet store and decided to start with booties.... we got them on with lots of treats and Shiloh seems to be pretty confused. His walk is a bit bizarre (extra high slow steps with his head tilted to the side and eyes wide), it's hard not to laugh. :rolleyes:

So we will see how this goes for a week or so- If it is too difficult or uncomfortable we may switch over to the paw balm.

Thanks for all of the help!

So we will see how this goes for a week or so- If it is too difficult or uncomfortable we may switch over to the paw balm.

Was this in the house or on a walk? My dogs always walk around like they're wearing flippers until the moment we hit the outdoors. Then the Sheltie is prancing and Quinn loping around -- just like normal. :rolleyes:

I just ordered Mick and Dew dog booties off the web site Melanie posted. I ordered 12 booties counting one extra for each pair. We'll see if they work. If the dogs can't adjust I think I'll try the mushers secret. I don't think it's the snow balls, I think that after an hour or more of playing out in the snow, they have sore/cold feet. They can make a 1 or 2 hour play session but then can't go back outside the rest of the day as they seem to be extra sore. One night after a good play/work session I let them out to do evening chores, Mick made it about 50 ft out the door and was laying down holding all his feet up. He didn't want to go in but he sure couldn't stay out.

I hope the booties work and we manage to lose only 1 of each pair. They weren't expensive but quickly added up and shipping was a bit steep.

I'll post our findings after we get them and try them out.

On the mushers secret...does it stay on the feet for long periods or time or do you have to reapply? Does it stain carpet?

My dogs always walk around like they're wearing flippers until the moment we hit the outdoors.

Ha!! That is the perfect description.... the boots are ok so far and he did well with them outside. And thankfully he has not pee'd on them yet. phew!

The first winter I got Daisy was the worst Chicago winter in 40 years. Not only was it murder on her feet (I was so a novice idiot of an owner - doG forgive me) but she would lick the salt off and would then be violently ill for at least 24 hours. It was awful.

So big thumbs up on the booties. Flipper walking aside, it is so worth it.