BC Boards

Fetch: how to get him come back at me?

Hi,

I'm Taang from Bangkok, Thailand.

I'm now training 7-month BC, Solar, to fetch a ball back. In my home, he fetches it back, comes to my feet and asks for more throwing.

When we are outside, football field, he fetches and comes back until 5 m. away from me, then he waits. He doesn't totally come back to my feet. I call, show some treat, run away from him, but he just stares, sits there or play that ball with his own.

Sometimes, with threat, he just drops his ball and comes to me.

Or it is too far? or I need a long leash to guide him back.

Thank you,

Taang+Solar

Thanks for the advice, Brad. :rolleyes:

I wait him and stare at him. I'm not sure that sign make him feel challenge? (eye contact, he might expect some chasing game will start)

or during that wait period, he then gets some distraction from other (you know, in football field), then he just goes away.

Taang, do not stare at him, just ignore him. If he leaves, maybe use a e won't chase you if you run away? I would maybe find somewhere between the size of home and the football field. Somewhere bigger but with no distractions. It is perhaps too much of an increase to go to the field at this time.

Sometimes, with threat, he just drops his ball and comes to me.

Or it is too far? or I need a long leash to guide him back.

I wouldn't add threats to the game. You can try shorter throws but that may not be the answer. Does he do this every time or could it be he wants to take a break? Just a thought since he is running farther, but if it is every time he may simply be looking to make a new version of the game.

When Quinn was that age, he would sometimes play keep away. After a few days of playing fetch on a long line, he stopped doing that. I wouldn't jerk him in, just get hold of the line and gently tug him towards me. He very quickly picked up on the fact he needed to return to me with the toy and after a few days stopped testing me about whether I wouldn't rather chase him. They really are just happy, impulsive kids at 7 months :rolleyes:

Those look like nice poles. Are you just working entries right now? He really shouldn't be doing any real weaving until about 14 months. It is supposed to be too hard on his spine.

If you do a search on the site you will see some other threads.

Have you tried running away from him when he is returning with the ball? How about offering a treat in exchange for the ball? You can try using a long line and guide him back to you and praise him.

Those are just a couple ideas.

I have a shy rescue dog whose interest in toys is very fragile. She is so sensitive that early on, I couldn't have ignored her and waited until she brought the toy back, because after a second of no activity her interest would be gone and she probably wouldn't play with me for a week! I taught her to retrieve with two balls, tugs or frisbees. (Actually, often we used 8 or 9 frisbees!) I'd throw or roll one, then immediately run in the opposite direction calling her and waving the other around like crazy. When that was solid, I'd sit on the grass and tease her with one, then throw it, then tease with the other, pulling it over the ground as she came back with the first one, then we'd play tug with the new one. Now she retrieves every time, is playing flyball, and is a great frisbee dog!