BC Boards

Halloween with your dog?

It seems that everywhere I've looked for the past few weeks, people are dressing up their dogs for Halloween. They were mostly the little lap dogs, but occasionally, a bigger one. Admittedly, I have in the past purchased those costume hair bands for Ladybug (she looked particularly fetching in her witch's hat) when our nieces and nephews were coming to the house for trick or treat and to get a chuckle from our elderly mothers, , but to dress a dog must take a lot of work! I'm sure if I went to the town parade today, I'd see my husband's niece's Newfoundlands costumed and marching in the parade. I think I'll just stick with the hair bands from the $1.00 store.

Liz

I'm pretty sure Scooter would put up a good fight if we tried to dress him! Although, a few winters ago, DH did manage to get a Steelers t-shirt on him. He looked totally embarrassed. I think it was more the logo than the shirt! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure Scooter would put up a good fight if we tried to dress him! Although, a few winters ago, DH did manage to get a Steelers t-shirt on him. He looked totally embarrassed. I think it was more the logo than the shirt! :rolleyes:

We dress the dogs esp for pet rescue contests. We took a number of prizes and had pics in the paper. It wasnt so much about the costumes as it was to get people to see that rescued dogs can be cute and nice.

Today I took a small dog to one and explained that all who cooed over her she was rescued and placed at a kill shelter due to her bowed legs from poor breeding.

That aside I feel my dogs get alot for basically hanging around they can dress up to amuse me. This is a pic of Penny in her doggles and scarf

021_222.jpg

Dress a dog up? I can't imagine why anybody would do such a thing. :rolleyes:

eleusisdragon09.jpg

Luce is a scary dragon (toddler costume from Walmart purchased after Halloween for a couple bucks) again this year because I had Flying Monkey Wing Attachment failure. In the past she's been the Headless Horsedog of Sleepy Hollow (pumpkin hat from Walmart and a black cape) and a poodle.

When I can, I take her out around the neighborhood during Trick or Treat. People love it, she gets a ridiculous amount of attention, pets, and cookies, and it's good PR for her breed.

Steve will tolerate little things like Doggles or the pumpkin hat briefly for photo ops, but then he's over it.

cute pic :rolleyes:

Harlow is going to be a pirate although she doesn't need the eye patch

There's also "Talk like a pirate" day around the end of September...can't remember the exact day, but my son's fencing club all wear eye patches and talk like pirates :D

We didn't do any sort of costume (well, other than the fall-colored bandana that Duncan wore on his walk today). But he did provide some great Halloween sound effects. He thinks he's musical, sings along with my younger son when he practices clarinet. But to the trick-or-treaters, it sounded like unearthly, and very prolonged, howling.

I didnt do anything this year but in the past Happy has been a cowgirl and a Cheerleader, and for a costume contest Electra was a fish that had eaten a dog combined with my friends puppy who was dressed as a bottle of pepto bismol for the fishes upset belly....all 100% homemade by my BFF and I , we spent weeks planning, getting the materials and making the costume for this contest. we never went near that contest again after the winner was announced....a dog wearing a pumpkin bib. I dont care that we didnt win, but to loose to a pumpkin bib? really? lol