BC Boards

recipies for treats

Cleaning out freezer for new beef, I found some packages of liver -- the pups have chewed the marrow out of their bones....does anyone have a recipe I can make with the liver to fill the bones for new treats? I stuffed milkbones in them last night and it kept them busy for oh, twenty minutes. Maybe.

Also, I"m trying to put weight on skinny little Brodie...he's getting the straight Diamond naturals now (no mix of the old food) with higher protein and fat content, with a little steak sauce and some shredded cheese sprinkled on, so at least he's finally eating. Any other suggestions?

Liz

put liver in blender (this is the fun part -- also, remember to never use the blender for anything else ever again)

pour into bowl

add enough flour and maybe one egg to make a stiff dough -- it doesn't really matter

chopped parsley is nice if you have it

spread mess out onto a baking sheet and bake in oven at 350 F until the top looks tough and dried up

= liver brownies

Oh, and you might want to open all the windows and make sure the fan in the kitchen is going because the smell of baking liver is, well, awful.

= liver brownies

Gross! The things we do for love! :rolleyes:

Liz, regarding Brodie, I ended up using wet food mixed with regular food and 3-4 daily smaller feedings that added up to more than the standard amount, with reduced fat peanut butter treats at night in a kong, to get her to gain approximately two pounds. Initially I thought I wanted her to gain another pound or two on top of that, but she's small and has more muscle tone now than she did when I got her, so I think although she could stand to gain another 1/2 pound to a pound, she is healthy at this weight.

When I was trying to put weight on her, I got all kinds of advice, one of which was to feed things like pumpkin and carrot with regular food, the fructose might help them keep weight on. A friend gave me the recipe for satin balls. Here it is if you're interested. I can't vouch for them because I've never made them, but several people here recommended them so I've kept the recipe on hand in case I ever needed it. (I know it's used for sled and hunting dogs, but I wasn't sure if the %ages for fat are okay and safe for a sedentary dog like Vala who can't do too much right now while she has heartworms and wasn't used to that kind of food, so I didn't want to chance fatty liver syndrome - or whatever it's called when the dog isn't able to process all the fat and its systems start shutting down. Love to hear whether Satin Balls take that into consideration from someone who knows about that, so I'd know whether it was safe to try if I ever needed to in the future. It sure looks like really high fat to me.)

Satin Balls ~~~

All ingredients are uncooked RAW and "Satin Balls" are served raw.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs
-- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal

1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal

1 raw egg

6 Tablespoons wheat germ

1 package Knox unflavored gelatin

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

2 Tablespoons unsulfured molasses

Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Half Recipe

5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

1/2 large box Total cereal (about 6 cups cereal)

1/2 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 7.5 cups oats)

5 raw eggs

1/2 of 15oz jar wheat germ (about 2 cups)

5 packages Knox unflavored gelatin

5/8 cup vegetable oil (this is pretty close to 2/3 cup)

5/8 cup unsulfured molasses

Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Full Recipe

10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)

1 large box Total cereal (about 12 cups cereal)

1 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 15 cups oats)

10 raw eggs

1 15oz jar wheat germ

10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin

1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 and 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses

Pinch of salt

Notes
:

"Whole Wheat Total" cereal (blue box) comes in large 1 lb 2 oz size (about 12 cups settled) and a smaller 12 oz size (about 8 cups cereal), which would work in Little Dog or Half Recipe. But in the long run, the large size is more economical. Don't get Raisin Total or Lo Carb Total.

Uncooked Oatmeal like "Quaker Old Fashioned Oats" and less expensive supermarket house brand, come in large 2 lb 10oz size (15 cups oats) or smaller 18 oz size (about 7 cups oats).

15oz jar of wheat germ is about 4 cups. Some stores only carry a 12oz jar of wheat germ, which contains about 3 and 1/4 cups of it.

Vegetable oil -- use a good one. I use olive oil.

You will find additional notes and comments at the following site ~

I won't feed cheap ground beef to my dogs and won't eat it myself anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/health/04meat.html

We get our beef on the hoof from a local farmer...it's good stuff.

I smeared some peanut butter inside their empty marrow bones today....figured PB &J puts weight on me....ought to help him out!

thanks all for the tips.....keep 'em coming

LIz

Gross! The things we do for love! :rolleyes:

Liz, regarding Brodie, I ended up using wet food mixed with regular food and 3-4 daily smaller feedings that added up to more than the standard amount, with reduced fat peanut butter treats at night in a kong, to get her to gain approximately two pounds. Initially I thought I wanted her to gain another pound or two on top of that, but she's small and has more muscle tone now than she did when I got her, so I think although she could stand to gain another 1/2 pound to a pound, she is healthy at this weight.

When I was trying to put weight on her, I got all kinds of advice, one of which was to feed things like pumpkin and carrot with regular food, the fructose might help them keep weight on. A friend gave me the recipe for satin balls. Here it is if you're interested. I can't vouch for them because I've never made them, but several people here recommended them so I've kept the recipe on hand in case I ever needed it. (I know it's used for sled and hunting dogs, but I wasn't sure if the %ages for fat are okay and safe for a sedentary dog like Vala who can't do too much right now while she has heartworms and wasn't used to that kind of food, so I didn't want to chance fatty liver syndrome - or whatever it's called when the dog isn't able to process all the fat and its systems start shutting down. Love to hear whether Satin Balls take that into consideration from someone who knows about that, so I'd know whether it was safe to try if I ever needed to in the future. It sure looks like really high fat to me.)

Satin Balls ~~~

All ingredients are uncooked RAW and "Satin Balls" are served raw.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs
-- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal

1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal

1 raw egg

6 Tablespoons wheat germ

1 package Knox unflavored gelatin

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

2 Tablespoons unsulfured molasses

Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Half Recipe

5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

1/2 large box Total cereal (about 6 cups cereal)

1/2 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 7.5 cups oats)

5 raw eggs

1/2 of 15oz jar wheat germ (about 2 cups)

5 packages Knox unflavored gelatin

5/8 cup vegetable oil (this is pretty close to 2/3 cup)

5/8 cup unsulfured molasses

Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Full Recipe

10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)

1 large box Total cereal (about 12 cups cereal)

1 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 15 cups oats)

10 raw eggs

1 15oz jar wheat germ

10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin

1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 and 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses

Pinch of salt

Notes
:

"Whole Wheat Total" cereal (blue box) comes in large 1 lb 2 oz size (about 12 cups settled) and a smaller 12 oz size (about 8 cups cereal), which would work in Little Dog or Half Recipe. But in the long run, the large size is more economical. Don't get Raisin Total or Lo Carb Total.

Uncooked Oatmeal like "Quaker Old Fashioned Oats" and less expensive supermarket house brand, come in large 2 lb 10oz size (15 cups oats) or smaller 18 oz size (about 7 cups oats).

15oz jar of wheat germ is about 4 cups. Some stores only carry a 12oz jar of wheat germ, which contains about 3 and 1/4 cups of it.

Vegetable oil -- use a good one. I use olive oil.

You will find additional notes and comments at the following site ~

The pups were raised sort of organicallly -- some puppy kibble but mostly goats milk and whatever meat -- chicken, various beef cuts....lamb...they were the fattest puppies I'd every seen. But all the meat was cooked.

Liz

We get our beef on the hoof from a local farmer...it's good stuff.

I smeared some peanut butter inside their empty marrow bones today....figured PB &J puts weight on me....ought to help him out!

thanks all for the tips.....keep 'em coming

LIz

I make a kong stuffing recipe that you could probably freeze in the bones. I mix the following together then stuff the kongs and freeze - one jar of lowfat peanut butter, one large tub of all natural nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt (I use Dannon), and couple tablespoons of honey. My dogs are a little heavier than I want for agility right now so they get the lowfat stuff. But if you want to add weight then get the regular yogurt and peanut butter.

Mel

I make a kong stuffing recipe that you could probably freeze in the bones. I mix the following together then stuff the kongs and freeze - one jar of lowfat peanut butter, one large tub of all natural nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt (I use Dannon), and couple tablespoons of honey. My dogs are a little heavier than I want for agility right now so they get the lowfat stuff. But if you want to add weight then get the regular yogurt and peanut butter.

Mel

How often do you give it to them? I've not gotten any kongs yet because I thought it was too expensive to keep filling them. This sounds like a less expensive, healthier alternative.

Liz

Also, I"m trying to put weight on skinny little Brodie...he's getting the straight Diamond naturals now (no mix of the old food) with higher protein and fat content, with a little steak sauce and some shredded cheese sprinkled on, so at least he's finally eating. Any other suggestions?

Liz

I'm trying to put some weight on Kenzi, too. I can still easily feel every bump in her backbone. I like my dogs thin but this is a bit too thin.

I've decided to start giving her a bit of oatmeal(about 1/2 cup cooked) with an egg mixed in in addition to the 2+ cups of kibble she gets. I cook up the oatmeal then add the egg and break up the shell and add that too. The egg semi-cooks in the hot oatmeal. I'm also looking into a higher calorie food to feed her until I get a few more pounds on her.

I won't feed cheap ground beef to my dogs and won't eat it myself anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/health/04meat.html

I won't buy cheap ground beef either - we get grass fed lean and/or organically raised. But wouldn't a dog's digestive system be much more able to cope with e. coli, even the really virulent strains, than a person? This is an honest question. Or is it more you just don't want to support the production of it and/or have it anywhere near your own kitchen?

I've fed Odin cheap ground beef left over from office parties/bar-b-ques where people brought pre-made patties and we didn't use them all, or whatever. It seemed much better than letting it go to waste, and he sure agreed! :rolleyes:

That story from the NYT is particularly weird because more people at the gathering than just that woman ate the burgers, but I guess only she got sick? Makes you wonder how much is due to the meat and how much is due to the interaction of the meat with individual people and the status of *their* immune systems. Although I absolutely cringed reading about the production methods on those patties, ye-ech.

ETA - kibble mixed with plain yogurt and frozen into kongs = heaven for puppiez!

To change things up for Melanie's Liver Cookies recipe (also known as 'doggie cocaine' at our house):

Use rolled oats instead of flour, about 3 cups to 1 lb of liver.

Use chicken or beef liver, but be warned, the beef liver has really gross strings in it

Add a couple tbs of cottage cheese, grated carrot, yogurt, or really, whatever you have

Use up old meat that's freezer burned

I bake it at around 275, it takes longer, but dries out nicely through and through. When I first take it out of the oven, (and she's right, it smells god awful whilst cooking. Windows open at all times) I cut it into 4 big pieces and let it cool on a rake. When it's cool all the way, I use my hands to quickly pull it apart into little tiny bits. Package them in zip lock baggies and toss in freezer. They'll keep for a couple weeks at least in the fridge.

Dogs come running from near and far, even if you only have the smell of it on your person. It's great, cheap, and healthy for the canines.

Ruth

You could also blenderize the liver and toss it over their kibble, or mix it into some rice or cheerios or other cereal and use that to stuff the kongs.

Ruth

Kongs...gotta get some kongs. I went with a football the other day, thinking they'd have fun chasing something that wobbled....well, it lasted about 24 hours. They kept chewing on the area around the laces until they popped it. I pulled the bladder out and they're having fun carrying around this deflated leather thing.

There's an Orka line of toys that seems to be fairly indestructible but the kongs stuffed with goodies sound so quiet for an evening by the fire...:rolleyes:.

Liz

The very nature of ground beef makes it something I don't really want to eat much of. I've always felt that way. Every part of it is a contaminated surface, through and through. I don't eat ground beef unless it's good quality beef, and it's well done. I don't feed it to my dogs because I feel like feeding it to them raw is just asking for trouble, even if their digestive systems are more robust than mine -- and I'm not sure that Solo's is, because anxious dogs (and people) usually tend to have bowel troubles that increase as they age, which is certainly true of Solo -- and there are so many less yucky raw items I can feed them instead. The pre-made patties are especially scary, since they are usually the lowest quality meat ("lips and assholes" is what a friend once called the cheap stuff) and we never buy them anyway since they're usually also disgusting. I don't like feeding the machine that produces cheap ground beef either, but mostly I don't eat it because I'm scared of it.

I don't like feeding the machine that produces cheap ground beef either, but mostly I don't eat it because I'm scared of it.

Just to set the record straight, I'm a pesco-vegetarian (and I encourage my husband, who is not, to buy free range beef, for the precise reason that I don't want to feed the machine). But my dog is not a vegetarian. And I was just copying a recipe given to me word for word. Let's say we substitute locally grown free range organic beef. Are Satin Balls then okay / not liable to cause issues by having too much fat? That's what I really wanted to know. Anybody?