BC Boards

Thinking of a pup to trial with in the future

I'm almost positive Tobey/Izzy won't herd but they have yet to be tested. I thought of SAR for Tobey but he's too nervous. I saw my first sheepdog trial a few weeks back and I can't stop thinking about how much I want to do it. I would love to start at the begining with a puppy. My timeline for getting a puppy wouldn't be till next year anyways, but I'm thinking down the line. What did you experience that might be helpful to a first time full BC puppy owner? How did your experience with the breeder go? Is there anything you would change?

I'm going to try to find a dog that has the instinct of course, but if he/she doesn't then I'm going to be happy just to have another dog to live with and share my home. I am leaning towards a male b/c Izzy is a strong female personality, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I also anticipate that by then I'll be SO much more experience as an owner that I'll be ready for the challenge. There is the matter of convincing Katie of course, but I'm working at that :rolleyes:

I've also been looking at breeders as recommended by the New England Border Collie Association.

Thanks!!!

Tim

Don't look at breeders, go watch sheepdog trials and pick the dogs that you like how they work, then approach those owners about the lines of their dogs. If they are not breeding their own, they can direct you to the people who have dogs like you like.

If you can't tell what you like, just keep looking at the dogs that are doing consistantly well, no need to be winners everytime but out there doing good. Chat up the open handlers, they are usually happy to talk about their dogs and the dogs that they know.

I agree with going for the breeding you like instead of looking for a breeder. My last two pups were aquired that way. One I really liked the parents, I had seen both trial. The other I own her aunt (who is spayed) and wanted the same lines. It took over a year to get each. Once you find the lines you like you will have to wait till there are pups available. This can be a long time as well bred pups usually have a long waiting list.

Good luck,

Suki

Three years ago this Thanksgiving Wayne went to a cattle dog trial, when he came home he said that he saw a dog work in a fashion that he really really liked. I told him to call that handler, Pete Carmichael, to see if he had any pups available out of the dog. He called, unfortunately the male Ollie had just had an accident and was killed, but he did have a pup available out of Fly, a son of Ollie that was available. Wayne told him that he would take him and the check would be in the mail in the morning.

After the holidays we went to South Dakota to pick up our first border collie, Jake. Pete showed us Jake, put him out on the sheep with his sister, boy she would tear into stuff, both pups were already working. He showed us many other dogs that he was training, along with Jake's dam, Hooker. We had also taken some of our dogs along that Pete worked with for us and gave us suggestions. Pete took some time and showed us how he started his young dogs out, also gave us some advice as to what to expect from Jake as he came along, we worked dogs all day both on cattle and sheep. We were treated to a home cooked supper at noon and then were treated to a wonderful dinner at the local tavern, best beef tips we have ever had. We then met the next morning to watch more dogs work before heading off for home.

Three years later I wouldn't want to change any of it, we can call Pete any time and he gives us advise and is interested in how Jake is doing for us. Training Jake was way more challenging then I expected, I had to get help from some top handlers to get Jake trained, he probably was more dog then we were ready for, and quite honestly we have a dog that can do things that were beyond our imagination just 3 years ago, and he's not even finished yet. Is he perfect, nope, but that's ok.

Deb

Three years ago this Thanksgiving Wayne went to a cattle dog trial, when he came home he said that he saw a dog work in a fashion that he really really liked. I told him to call that handler, Pete Carmichael, to see if he had any pups available out of the dog. He called, unfortunately the male Ollie had just had an accident and was killed, but he did have a pup available out of Fly, a son of Ollie that was available. Wayne told him that he would take him and the check would be in the mail in the morning.

After the holidays we went to South Dakota to pick up our first border collie, Jake. Pete showed us Jake, put him out on the sheep with his sister, boy she would tear into stuff, both pups were already working. He showed us many other dogs that he was training, along with Jake's dam, Hooker. We had also taken some of our dogs along that Pete worked with for us and gave us suggestions. Pete took some time and showed us how he started his young dogs out, also gave us some advice as to what to expect from Jake as he came along, we worked dogs all day both on cattle and sheep. We were treated to a home cooked supper at noon and then were treated to a wonderful dinner at the local tavern, best beef tips we have ever had. We then met the next morning to watch more dogs work before heading off for home.

Three years later I wouldn't want to change any of it, we can call Pete any time and he gives us advise and is interested in how Jake is doing for us. Training Jake was way more challenging then I expected, I had to get help from some top handlers to get Jake trained, he probably was more dog then we were ready for, and quite honestly we have a dog that can do things that were beyond our imagination just 3 years ago, and he's not even finished yet. Is he perfect, nope, but that's ok.

Deb

Deb, you description of meeting a working handler is terrific and how it should be. While I wasn't looking for a working sheep dog, our meeting with the breeder and exploring the pups pedigree over the course of several visits in which we both got to know each other and who we knew in common was a wonderful experience. We came to the breeder recommended by the owner of the pups' sire and I already knew the owner/breeders of the pups male line but it was interesting to discover their mother's line which very quickly goes back to Scotland. There was full disclosure about my cancer diagnosis, treatment, and expected positive outcomesThe breeder also paid us a visit to see where the pups would be raised - the amount of space to run, etc. and immediately offered us some sheep for our back field...she said we'd need them :rolleyes:. We paid many visits after the pups were born and once we took the pups, about two months after my surgery, they went back on my chemo days because they were too small to be left all day. We were just back on Friday to celebrate their six month birthday!

The best part is that the breeder, as well as the owner of the pups dad and grandfather are always available for questions and love to hear how the "kids" are doing. Any of them - the breeder - or the owners of the pups father would take the pups in an instant if I could no longer care for them and if things work out that Brodie does start herding lessons, he'll be taking them where his grandpa trained to be a champion trial dog. We've attended several trials held there and paid a couple of visits, once without the dog and once with, observing lessons and listening to tips.

>>>>Three years ago this Thanksgiving Wayne went to a cattle dog trial, when he came home he said that he saw a dog work in a fashion that he really really liked. I told him to call that handler, Pete Carmichael, to see if he had any pups available out of the dog. He called, unfortunately the male Ollie had just had an accident and was killed, but he did have a pup available out of Fly, a son of Ollie that was available. Wayne told him that he would take him and the check would be in the mail in the morning.

<<<

Yep, That's Pete alright. A great guy. I got a dog from him a while ago and he very educational. A true gentleman and a class act.

You did well

Diane

If you've never done stockwork before, go find a nice, well-started young adult dog or a "failed" trial dog. Nick was a "failed" trial dog in that he & his first owner just didn't quite get along. I got a started dog because I needed one that would move sheep right away, but I'd recommend it anyways. First, a puppy is a crap shoot. Even the best-bred pup might not get the genes for working. Second, it's a long time before a pup can really work well, and I believe it's a lot like horses- Green + green = black & blue. Although the bruises from sheep aren't as bad as those from horses. Get a well-started dog & learn about stock handling & timing with a dog who knows what it's doing already. There's a LOT more to stockwork than just working the dog.

And, honestly, that dog you don't think will herd might be fantastic. My friend's #1 working dog (she has, oh, 200+ sheep and a bunch of cows, plus hogs) has zero drive for anything else. In fact, he's a loony, barking nutball off of stock. But get him out in the field and he's a great worker. So don't jump to conclusions!