BC Boards

Edgeworth Open SDT

Sue R

Thanks to Tommy and Florence Wilson for hosting one of the most challenging and beautiful trials east of the Mississippi! Huge field (600 yard outrun - that's a third of a mile!); healthy, steady, consistent sheep; beautiful locations to park, camp, and walk dogs; and a great concession stand on Fri and Sat.

Thanks also to Carla King and company for seeing that my camper battery was not only recharged but first for checking and seeing it was low on water and filling it, and then telling me how to take better care of it! Thanks to her, I had lights, cooking, fridge, and the furnace one chilly morning...

Thanks to Dee Penatzer for letting me scribe and making sure that the judge and I were well cared for. And for just being so thoughtful!

Thanks to the judge, Nathan Mooney, who patiently worked with me as a scribe at times over three days, answered all my questions respectfully, and was always kind and considerate.

Thanks to old friends and new friends, and everyone who was so kind! Especially Dan King for taking a beautiful picture of Celt for me and more good folks than I am going to remember here.

A huge thanks to Sue Asten and her 20 foot camper - into which we crammed twelve people - 10 women and 2 men (both seriously tall men), for a wonderful cook-out (thanks again to our cook, Mark, and his assistant, Dan) and the best socializing I think I've ever had at a sheepdog trial. Isn't there something about being close and cozy??? You know who your friends are when you can squeeze in that tight and wish you could do it all over again!

Looking forward to seeing some of you at Jan Thompson's, and wishing the best of luck to all going to Lexington this coming weekend!

Hello everyone,

Thanks, Sue, for your terrific post (and photos in the Gallery section), but inquiring minds want to know.....who were the big winners at Edgeworth?????

Regards,

nancy

Tommy and Sly had a smoking 102 to win the first Open trial. Christine and Tweed (go Tweed, first win in Open, I think) won the second Open but I don't remember the score.

Many good dogs and handlers met a sad fate on that big, tricky field and there was a tremendous amount of very nice work from many handler/dog teams.

It was pretty spectacular!

Course descriptions

Trial 1:

We had a ca. 600 yd outrun where we picked up 5 sheep (2 with collars and 3 without). The sheep were fetched to a post about 75-100 yds in front of the handler's post where we turned the sheep onto a left hand drive. The drive and cross drive were 150-200 yds. We brought the sheep to the ring where we split off 2 un-collared sheep; the judge called it. We re-gathered the sheep in the ring and then penned the 5. Following the pen we singled one of the collared sheep.

Trial 2:

We had a ca. 600 yd outrun where we picked up 4 sheep (no collars). The sheep were fetched to the handler's post where we turned the sheep onto a right hand drive. The drive and cross drive were 150-200 yds. We brought the sheep to the ring where we split the group; the judge called it. We re-gathered the sheep in the ring and then penned the 4.

As usual the sheep were even and were only run once per trial; however, IMHO the sheep were unusually people friendly this year making shedding a bit more challenging (the groups curled around the handlers). The sheep were easier to bring to the pen then in the past. Some groups penned straight away while others turned around and faced out of the pen once in the mouth of the pen; these require significant pushing by the dog & handler to get into the pen.

Wow, long course- how much time?

Course descriptions

Trial 1:

We had a ca. 600 yd outrun where we picked up 5 sheep (2 with collars and 3 without). The sheep were fetched to a post about 75-100 yds in front of the handler's post where we turned the sheep onto a left hand drive. The drive and cross drive were 150-200 yds. We brought the sheep to the ring where we split off 2 un-collared sheep; the judge called it. We re-gathered the sheep in the ring and then penned the 5. Following the pen we singled one of the collared sheep.

Trial 2:

We had a ca. 600 yd outrun where we picked up 4 sheep (no collars). The sheep were fetched to the handler's post where we turned the sheep onto a right hand drive. The drive and cross drive were 150-200 yds. We brought the sheep to the ring where we split the group; the judge called it. We re-gathered the sheep in the ring and then penned the 4.

As usual the sheep were even and were only run once per trial; however, IMHO the sheep were unusually people friendly this year making shedding a bit more challenging (the groups curled around the handlers). The sheep were easier to bring to the pen then in the past. Some groups penned straight away while others turned around and faced out of the pen once in the mouth of the pen; these require significant pushing by the dog & handler to get into the pen.