BC Boards

breeding a different breed

So....some friends of DH's have 2 Akbash young females. THey came and met Lilly and Sam a month or so ago. Since seeing them Lilly has been spayed and I'm just waiting for another paycheck or 2 to fix Sam.

Tonight DH says they would like to use Sam for a stud.

Well that caught me totally off guard. I never thought of breeding any dogs. Sam is a fine specimen but breed worthy? I really have no idea yet. Even when grown I'll know if he's doing a great job or not but I really don't know much of his lines except his sister is lovely too and they're both doing a bang up job of guarding...but that's all I know.

My gut reaction was WHY and probably not? But I know there is a market for good LGD's out here. So if they had potential homes I'd not be so totally against it.

If they are truly serious I just don't know what to think or say. I know I don't need another pup and probably wouldn't want a stud fee (just feels cheap) so there's nothing in it for me....not that that's why I would or would not but guess I"m thinking out loud.

I will talk to them soon, before I snip Sam but I would snip Sam soon after if I would decide to do it. I'm not sure I even want to keep him intact till it'd be time. He's good and humble to the rest of the pack...what would studding him out do to his pack order at home....would he get cocky if he got him some? I know I don't want that. He's gonna be a giant that doesn't need a big head around here.

Just can't even imagine studding him out. He's such a goofy guy, and not nearly old enough but I think or I hope they are talking way in the future cause I don't think their pups are much older than mine and I'd require at least 2 heats before I'd agree....I guess I need to see how much they know and exactly what they plan...

Any thoughts?

It's wholly your decision. You could always collect him, at the dime of the people who want to use him, and then snip him. Of course, once you snip him, he will turn out to be a great protector and superior specimen.....

Are there a lot of Akbash out there? I would talk with old time Akbash breeders, who use them for their live stock guarding skills, and see what is typically done with this breed.

GOod ideas Julie

I don't konw how you know an Akbash is breed worthy except the obvious reasons and he's not old enough to figure that out yet, that's what I think would be my issues.

I like the idea of collecting from him. That way he'll never know what "could" be.

I'll let you know what I figure out

Thanks

Hi Kristen:

I don't know anything about breeding, and next to nothing about the akbash. So, FWIW, I was just thinking, what if the akbash people feel the same about certain breeding practices that the border collie people do? Not to insinuate that you are or will turn into a backyard breeder or anything- I have a lot of respect for you and your opinion, and you are very helpful to many in regards to these Boards. However, if someone came to the Boards and asked the exact same question that you asked, but the words 'border collie' appeared in place of the word 'akbash',

We. Would. Freak.

Maybe you should, as suggested, check with some reputable akbash clubs or breeders. Here is a link to Akbash Dogs International; I have no idea if this is a reputable club or not, but many akbash sites seem to reference it, and I did not see anything too crazy on their website (they do briefly reference appearance).

From ADI:

"In Akbash Dog breeding, the emphasis shall be placed upon working ability and other outstanding qualities of character of this breed, as well as upon appearance. It is mandatory that a Code of Ethics be subscribed to by those who are concerned with the propagation of physically, mentally and temperamentally sound Akbash Dogs of proper breed type.

Measures should be taken to acquaint the general public with the contents of this Code so that they may not become innocent partners in improper breeding practices.

Consistent with the above, I agree to breed discriminately and only upon strong evidence of the possibility of finding suitable homes for the resulting puppies. I understand and agree that to breed inadvisedly may lead to over-population and contribute to the deterioration of the Akbash Dog breed."

Just sayin'!

Karrin

if someone came to the Boards and asked the exact same question that you asked, but the words 'border collie' appeared in place of the word 'akbash',

We. Would. Freak.

Exactly my point. I know nothing about what a good akbash breeder is looking for, except that I would think it'd be allot like our breed, not conformation, but working ability. I would need to know what flaws I'd be looking for and what is a positive for this breed. Even what is good guarding, as I have a small flock so guarding is good but good enough??

The answer will probably be no unless a knowledgable akbash person would explain why Sam could be breed worthy.

And....don't worry about hurting my feelings....I asked and expect all answers to be honest opinions, not just what I want to hear...I don't even know what I want to hear! :rolleyes:

Exactly my point. I know nothing about what a good akbash breeder is looking for, except that I would think it'd be allot like our breed, not conformation, but working ability. I would need to know what flaws I'd be looking for and what is a positive for this breed. Even what is good guarding, as I have a small flock so guarding is good but good enough??

The answer will probably be no unless a knowledgable akbash person would explain why Sam could be breed worthy.

And....don't worry about hurting my feelings....I asked and expect all answers to be honest opinions, not just what I want to hear...I don't even know what I want to hear! :rolleyes:

That would depend on whether you were looking for a show dog or working dog. For the later, physical soundness, speed, agility and structure for physical characteristics. From the working perspective, how does he work. Does he stay close, go out and patrol, does he 'herd' the flock to safety? How does he work. What sort of predators does he have to protect from. Does he tightly bond with his stock? Just how good a working dog is he? These are the sort of questions that need to be answered before breeding. He should be about 2 years before some of these may be answered. Do you want to go thru adolescense with an intact male?

OTOH, a male, once bred, or even intact is far more likely to wander looking for females. Do you live in an area where his wandering is going to be a problem? What about the prospect of him breeding other females (the neighbor's Golden for ex)? how will you deal with that?

Just a few more questions

He should be about 2 years before some of these may be answered. Do you want to go thru adolescense with an intact male?

This is my main concern. He's not even a year old so all those other questions can't be answered yet. I'm assuming (and we know what that makes me;) ) that they want to wait till those questions are answered.

I was thinking when feeding them today. He's way more wanderie or out going than Lil his sister. He would go on walk abouts with his sister if I let them both out, just to visit the gas rig guys, or neighbors. Lil on the other hand never leaves the sight of her sheep, unless pushed by him. Since she can get out of anything and he can't, he doesn't get to wander at all, he's in a pen with his sheep at all times. But I was thinking that Lilly is way better at her job. He's still way to young to answer all those things. She OTOH is the same age but I can answer good to all or most of your questions about her. But she's already spayed, as I don't need puppies and am not a breeder of any kind.

We have bear, mountain lions, coyotes and I've even heard of a wolf making it down to Rilfe from WY recently. So there's going to be lots to guard from but food is plentiful right now so nothing is really hunting the sheep at the moment. We'll see this winter.

Lots to think about but I figured I'd get the answers that I needed to hear on here. I think if they're that interested and can convince me that they do have the knowledge and answers, I'll let them pay to collect from him but as far as keeping him intact and letting him breed....just not what I need to add to my list of to-do's.