BC Boards

Peeing on the baby's door

Hello,

I was on this board about 10 months ago asking for advice in getting my Collie-X Hudson ready for my baby. Well, the baby is now almost 8mos old, and Hudson is totally in love with him. He kisses him non-stop, and the one time the baby grabbed his face (I supervise them, but he lunged and got ahold!), all Hudson did was yelp and yelp until I could get the baby to let go, and then he just kissed the baby's hands.

Last week my husband went away for work, but I made sure Huds got his long morning walk (with my parent's and some friend's help, since it is really hard walking the dog and baby together). I also made sure he got a lot of attention, and thought everything was going well. However, one day last week he peed on the doorframe of the baby's room when I took the baby for a walk without him and forgot to close the door to the baby's room. I cleaned it (but was out of the pet stuff so just used regular cleaner). Then today, again, I was walking the baby and forgot to close the door. Huds was freaking out as we left, whining like crazy, and when I came back, he had peed on the door frame again.

We don't crate him anymore (he hasn't even seen a crate in about 2 years and I am afraid it will freak him out). I don't know why he is doing this, any ideas?

lly hard walking the dog and baby together). I also made sure he got a lot of attention, and thought everything was going well. However, one day last week he peed on the doorframe of the baby's room when I took the baby for a walk without him and forgot to close the door to the baby's room.

Then today, again, I was walking the baby and forgot to close the door. Huds was freaking out as we left, whining like crazy, and when I came back, he had peed on the door frame again.

I don't know why he is doing this.

Any ideas.

Been there, done that.

You sure you don't have a clue as to why??? :rolleyes:

Hudson was pissed you left him behind. :D :D :D

Techniclly it's called separation anxiety. When you leave with the baby you're leaving forever in his eyes. I had that problem with one dog, Glynnis. Never figured out how to cure it. My suggestion is some serious loose leash walking lessons, and a longer lead for walking with the baby to make him easier to control.

I eventually trained Glynniss to pull a wagon with the baby it it.

Huds was freaking out as we left, whining like crazy, and when I came back, he had peed on the door frame again.

He really had to urinate and smelled urine (the baby's or his own) there? With the change in your routine, you might be missing his cues. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Kim

Hudson was pissed you left him behind.

Every morning, I get up early, feed Annie, and adminster her medication. Two mornings a week, I then take her to doggie daycare for fun and games. On other mornings, I put her back in her den, and give her a cookie; she seems to know that if DW is still asleep, I am going to work, she is not invited, and DW will exercise her when she gets up. On the weekends (weather permitting), we go for an early morning walk, or head out for some fishing or hiking.

BUT...

On rare occasion, DW is up when I leave for work, and Annie does not go back in her den. When I leave, Annie apparently thinks that she is missing out on something, and starts going around the house, whining and going to DW for solace, as if to say, "Why did Daddy leave me?" She is not destructive, but she makes it clear that she is not happy that she is missing out on something. Once DW takes her out for some exercise, all is right with the world again...

I do know that dogs don't like being left behind and that they like us are creatures of habit. We returned home last night about 5:30. So I fed the dogs, being dinnertime, and after they wanted to go go for a walk, that's normal. However last night they were very insistent about it. DD, who took care of them last week, said that the dogs wouldn't leave her alone after dinner last week and that Jin constantly annoyed her by bringing a ball. I'm not surprised. There was someone here and they always go to the park after dinner but DD change their schedule and they didn't like it. Last night as soon as they finished eating Jin brought me his harness and lead something he's never done before. Habit? Learned response to a given situation? a cognitive decision wanting a return to a normal life? Whatever it was I definitely had a couple of pissed off dogs because they hadn't been going out when, where and with waht they were used to. Does that make sense?

It might after you read this.