BC Boards

Ticks in ears

sweet_ceana

I am beggining to think these ticks are becoming organized. Just when we think we have them beat they come back in new ways. We have found ticks deep inside the ears of our dogs and our foster. Any advice on how to get these out? We have been using tweezers on most of them, but some are just too deep to comfotably use tweezers. I don't want to hurt their ears.

One of those nasty little bastards bit me today. There will be tick genocide at my house. I do not tollerate an attempt to make me their parasitic host. <<YUCK!!!>>

Does anyone have anything that they use in their yards to destroy the ticks? (Can I rent chickens?) We have some cinnamon spray that is safe for the dogs, but obviously it hasn't worked.

We are Borg. Resistance is futile.

Seriously, though - I've heard that guinea hens kept in a yard will eat up the little buggers.

One of my primal, gut-wrenching childhood memories is of our dog, Charlie Brown (probably a BC mix, now that I know BCs!), going out wilding with a pack of likewise unfixed males. They'd be gone for six or seven days sometimes. (I know. What were my parents thinking!?) I remember praying for his safety, and I remember him coming home, thin and happy and COVERED IN TICKS. Ticks the size of quarters. Silver, gruesome ticks. All around, but mostly in the area around his ears.

My older brothers delighted in calling us little girls over to watch them pluck and burst ticks between their thumbs and index fingers.

::Shudder::

I can't bear pierced eyebrows even now, because the silver balls people wear there remind me of grotesque, swollen ticks.

Mary

I just start dowsing them in Sevin dust. Ticks are vile and must die. We are having trouble this year with the almost microscopic ticks. There's no finding those things in their coats, much less detatching by hand. The dogs that spend a lot of time in the woods are wearing tick detatch collars.

We may have found something that works for the ears! A q-tip w/ rubbing alcohol. If you touch the tick DH says they " Shrivel up like the wicked witch of the west." and can be easily removed. Poor Sita screams bloody murder when you pull them off of her. I can't wait to obliterate them all in my yard this weekend!