BC Boards

Names???

There are so many naming sites...Are you looking for Border Collie names? Working Border Collie most often have one or two syllable people names. Sports dog people tend to like "fast" or "crazy" dog names like Rocket or Riot. I like to name my dogs something Celtic-related as a nod to both my and the breed's heritage (Kaylie was simplified spelling of "Ceilidh," a dance gathering/party event, Kildare is named for the county in Ireland, Branwenn is "fair raven" in Welsh). I usually look at baby naming sites and Celtic mythology/legend sites for mine.

We used baby name lists and Scottish/Gailic name lists. This Border Collie Name Database is an interesting site -- wish we'd had it when we were looking for names for the pups, though I knew that little red pup would be Robin because he was born the day the robins came back to our area. Brodie, which means brother in Gailic, was harder to come by -- and appears on this list as Brody, I think. There isn't a single Ladybug listed :rolleyes:. Silly name for a dog :D She was named Lady when she came to us and we added the "bug" because of the freckles on her legs and muzzle and because a Ladybug is a helpful little critter, which she is.

Liz

I can never find a name that suites me. I usually have to let the dog tell me their name.

For my next puppy (yes I did say that) I've got picked

Mabel or Ida.

But probably won't be either, she'll tell me when I see her.

Thanks guys ,I know there are so many different sites with names. I just wanted to narrow it down a little, I like the idea of Celtic kinda names, so thanks again I will keep searching and thinking

We took naming advice from the "Monks of New Skete" : a two-syllable, crisp, humanoid name. After a few days with the dog (named Bogart by the rescue peeps) we had the names down to Nico, Banjo, Bowie (as in David Bowie, not bough-y), and Cosmo. Banjo eventually seemed too "cute" and not human, and I also practiced using the names with different tones and based on that went with Nico over Bowie (not as crisp), and kept Cosmo as middle name. That said I have friends with single syllable named dogs and it doesn't seem to matter at all. There's a dog I see sometimes here named "Crime Fighter" and its very strange to hear it being called/reprimanded. :rolleyes:

My guys always name themselves Ashe was Ashe well before Poke mon, Meg is a proper lady at times was always Meg, and Riley although I liked the name River was not a River and definately a Riley. Whim was bought by his previous owners on just such a thing, although I had thought of Kiefer, Whim popped into my head and the rest is history.

I used a baby naming book to name Vala. I flipped through the names for two days, looking for female names with Celtic, Gaelic, or Welsh origins. The second morning, after a night of reading the book and no names sticking out to me in the moment, I woke up with the word "Vala" in my head, and what it meant. It's a Welsh name that means "chosen" - considering she was a rescue from the animal control center and so eager to please and happy to be in her new home, I felt like it would almost reassure her, if she knew what it meant, that she was here to stay forever and all right. So that morning, with all these thoughts running through my head, I let her out of her kennel and walked into the kitchen and said "Vala" in a questioning tone. Immediately her ears perked up and she walked over to sit in front of me and get pet. That was the first time she responded in such a positive way to a name-word, so it stuck. I second the others who suggest you kind of let the dog pick her name... It's important for her to like it. And you, of course! I love saying Vala's name because it's so flowery and foreign sounding, singsong. I pronounce it Vah-lah, and sometimes just calling her name makes me smile. :rolleyes: