BC Boards

Flea/heart worm drops and odd behaviour.

When I put the drops on Meg's neck she hates it. I did it just now and she is trotting around the room in a circle!! Does anybody know if it stings or why always such a bad reaction. I use Advocate. Thank you.

I have not heard of Advocate.

Pacing, rolling, restlessness...not completely abnormal, but you might want to consider switching to a flea/HWP that is not topical. Sentinel is a pretty good one, just so long as fleas are not a MAJOR issue in your area. It does heartworms, intestinal parasites, and it basically renders fleas sterile, unable to produce viable eggs. (So technically live fleas can get on your dog, but they die in a few days...like I said, if fleas are not a huge problem this is a nice option.) The nice part is its a flavored pill. :rolleyes:

Duncan acts totally weird for the entire evening after we apply Vectra 3D, and some of this behavior continues on into the next day or two. When he got big enough that it was supposed to be applied to multiple spots, the vet tech suggested we apply it to his armpits (which he can't reach) instead of to a couple of spots on his back (some of which he could reach). Boy did he jump when we applied it to his armpits - it was as if he'd stuck him with a pin! He acted the next day as if his forelimbs were asleep, or had pins and needles.

The next month we just put it on his back but he still acted strange for a day or two - kept snapping at his flanks. Definitely restless after application, and a bit agitated.

My husband and I have been spooked by such behavior. We hate to keep using it, but we live within Tick Central USA - our area is a real hotbed for Lyme disease. The vet said that Vectra was the most effective product on the market against ticks, and that the vaccine for Lyme disease doesn't confer complete immunity, though it does seem to lessen the severity of the disease, so Duncan has been vaccinated against it. We have deer, foxes, even coyotes in our (fenced, wooded) back yard all the time, so I hate to drop the Vectra in favor of something that may not be as effective against ticks (or fleas, or mange-transmitting critters).

On the other hand... the cynical part of me wants to know how much to trust my vet's advice (in favor of Vectra). If you go to Summit's (Vectra 3D manufacturer's) website http://www.summitvetpharm.com/Veterinarian...ns/Recommended/ , you see several comments about how vets are glad it isn't sold at pet stores, and others about how it enhances their practice's profitability. (Are these observations linked?). Believe me, I don't have anything against vets wanting to make a gainful living. But I am curious about how those of you who have used different sort of anti-tick products in tick-infested areas would rate Vectra (among other topical ectoparasiticides). What do you find works best?

- Lynn

My Max used to do the same thing. He HATED when you put it on! He would try to rub it off on anyone, anything, anywhere. I always joke that I was a drug dog in a former life, I can not stand the smell of advantage, advantix, frontline... to me it smells like crushed palmetto bugs. (unmistakable smell here in the south!) I would think it smells horrible to them too. Max was my "clean" dog, unlike "stinky Pete", so he hated it!

• 1 month later...

An update: we ended up too spooked by Duncan's response to Vectra 3D. Every time we applied it he acted strange and paced nonstop for 12 hours (unless crated), wouldn't settle or eat. It seemed to get worse each time. Last month we switched to Frontline. He was perfectly fine with it - no response at all.

Another fantastic tick preventative is the Preventic collar...I even wear them around my pant legs when hiking. I don't like keeping it on them all the time, so I use a cheap nylon collar, and affix the preventic to the inside of it, so I can clip it on them when we head out to the woods.

http://www.24hourpet.com/preventic-tick-collars-c-64.html