BC Boards

Dog Sneezing hard

Yesterday evening I was walking Cody - he was smelling the ground. He started sneezing really hard for an extended period of time. Duchess was really alarmed by Cody's sneezing. My husband thought that it he may have been been bitten by a bug. I thought something may have gone up his nose. This morning he is still sneezing, but not as often. My vet is off today - I don't think this is a big enough problem to call her on her day off. I plan to call tomorrow - will I sound like an idiot? Should I give it more time? I am concerned that Cody may have gotten some of those nasty grasses up his nose ( the kind of grass that works its way in but won't come out) Can a vet look up a dog's nose?

I had Jill to the vet under the same circumstances not long ago. Foxtails can be literally deadly. Before our vet appt, whenever she stopped sneezing if I lightly pressed near her nose on the affected side she'd start sneezing again. I had strong suspicions that she had been able to dislodge it shortly before our vet appt. because I didn't get that reaction when I pressed and she hadn't shown anymore signs of being irritated. I took her in anyway, and they knocked her out to scope her and found she was clean. Better safe than sorry.

Can a vet look up a dog's nose?

Oh, yes. Not only can vets look up dog's noses, but they enjoy it, too, and have a little scopey thing so they can see farther and deeper!

The foxtails that go up the nose are usually not the ones that kill the dogs -- that honor is reserved for the ones that get into the chest cavity -- but they can still be serious. Your dog sounds suspiciously like it has something up its nose.

Yup, looking up dog's noses has got to be a serious contributor to cash flow for the vets out here. Are you in New Mexico? It sure sounds like your dog has something up its nose. And a foxtail doesn't normally come back out on its own. I hope it's nothing serious, but if it were me, I'd go to the vet to have it checked. I use the emergency vet here, because they have better scoping equipment for noses.

I posted this picture in June:

This is Daisy's $500 foxtail :rolleyes: , extracted with a scope under anesthesia, from quite far up her nose:

evilfoxtail.jpg

Sorry to repost, but I guess since I paid $500 for it, I'm entitled to get my money's worth!! :D