BC Boards

Crazy Training Techniques

LOL! Sorry, I meant the men I know here where I live. Both of my dogs are leash aggressive and I have been told by these men that the only way to get rid of the problem is to "show them who the boss is". I use the clicker and treats instead and my dogs are much calmer around other dogs and have improved a lot. It does take a long time using this method, but I just can't hurt my dogs when they tell other dogs to stay away from them. The men I know would rather just scare their dogs into not reacting when they see other dogs. Kind of like Cesar's method.

Yes, I know what you meant, just razzin' you. Most guys don't have the patience or understanding to train well, so I was told by a woman. And looking at flyball and agility gatherings, women outnumber men 8 to 1, at least. I asked about that once and was told "oh, men just can't do this well" haha, I suppose there might be some validity to that, but we can't say ALL men.

I am a very strong personality, and somewhat of a control freak, but I'm old enough to know you catch more bees with honey. Dogs, being pack animals, do require an alpha figure in the pack, but this is too often misunderstood to be bully instead of leader.

I'm alpha in my pack, and what that means is this....I provide food and shelter. I go to bed first, then they ask to come on the bed (ok, we're still negotiating that one :rolleyes:. As alpha, when a strange dog is charging at us at the park, I'm the one that stands in front to meet it and make sure the situation is safe. I provide protection. They look to me for guidance, whether a nod that it's ok to chase the robins out of the yard, or which obstacle to take next. I provide a regular schedule that they can depend on.

Dogs need leadership, and regardless of what name we want to assign to this, it's crucial in our relationships with them. We do not need to lead by fear though, but respect. Yes, it takes more work in the beginning, but once that relationship is established, it's easy to maintain. You don't need to keep scaring your dogs into knowing who's in charge, it's just known. It's easier for them to let someone they trust set the rules and boundries, it saves them having to do it themselves.

And, for my requisite jab at women, I find many of my female friends too coddly and set very little in the way of boundries, resulting in lots of big sighs and frustration when a boundary needs to be enforced. ha! :D

I would be interested in other male thoughts on this...c'mon guys!

OK, since you asked. I am a large male, powerful when I was young, pro hockey player, pro fishing guide, you know the usual manly man stuff. I have three border collies and I don't mind saying I love them and care for them like a little old lady if you like. My best dog is a big powerful herder, we do sheep and cows, worked a lot of ranches. I have never once found I needed to be forceful with him in any fashion, I have never felt the need to assert my dominance yet he thinks I am the pack leader, he is my partner. I can't tell you how many times at the end of a day of hard work my pack and I jump up on my nice warm bed and have a great sleep so we can do it again the next day. I can't tell you have many times I got down on my knees and hugged and kissed my best dog with tears in my eyes after watching his dedication and expertise. I will put my soft manner and my soft training techniques and my best dog up against any man and any mans dog, thanks for asking, you are welcome.

Brad, usually the men who give me advice don't have the same problem with their dogs and think it's because they are such good leaders. My first dog Benny was not leash aggressive and he did not care about cats, dogs, squirrels or other animals around us. It had nothing to do with me and how I treated him. If I met an owner with a dog who would go crazy just at the sight of a cat, I would not give that person advice on how to handle the situation. Because I've never had that problem with Benny. Kira is different. She wants to chase cats. She does not ask for permission to chase cats. She just does it. I always keep her on a leash when we are outside. If she sees a cat, I give her a treat. She forgets about the cat and wants to do tricks for me instead and earn more treats. I am probably a lousy leader for my dogs, but this is what works for me.

As alpha, when a strange dog is charging at us at the park, I'm the one that stands in front to meet it and make sure the situation is safe. I provide protection.

Have your dogs ever been reactive or leash aggressive?

Monicah, no, I haven't had that issue, and certainly wasn't trying to give any advice on how to deal with it, more of a theoretical ideology of what leadership means to me with MY dogs. I wouldn't have a clue where to start giving advice on reactive dogs, I'm just thankful to the dog gods I don't have to deal with that.

I don't really have any issues with my dogs, whether that is a nature vs. nurture situation, I have no idea, and won't attempt to claim one or the other.

My post was just to point out that not all guys believe that "if it doesn't work, force it" If I try to train something and it's not working, I change MY behaviour, not try to force the dog. I think many guys try the same thing over and over, just being louder and more forceful. This is all I was trying to suggest, and that not all men are like that.

Brad, I know what you meant. :rolleyes: The men I know who own a dog are the "if it doesn't work, force it" type. I can't discuss dog training with them because all they talk about is being alpha, leader and forcing the dogs to obey you. I read a lot about animal behavior and how animals learn. So I train my dogs using the same methods as other animal trainers. I am just my dogs' owner and trainer. I am not their leader or the alpha dog.