BC Boards

down at a distenance

I slowly add distance to my commands, once the dog knows a command by my side I ask from 5 feet, 8 feet, and so on; not increasing distance too quickly or before they catch on at the prior step. I also use hand signals as well as voice. I startout w/very few distractions then go places w/ more distractions as they become more successful.

If your dog responds to a ball or something like that, get his attention then fake a throw and when he turns to look at you give him a lie down. Or if he lies down at a distance on his own tell him it's a good down. Bear in mind it only works well if he's a solid down next to you.

Distance has to be increased slowly. Ideally you would start increasing distance right away so the dog doesn't have the idea ingrained that "down" means "lay down next to my feet" instead of just "lay down." Start by putting your dog in a sit-stay and walking back a couple of steps. Then ask for the "down." If the dog gets up and walks closer before laying down, put him right back where he started from and try again, but stand a little closer, until he is successful. Sometimes you can stop him from moving forward just by leaning into him a little right as he's going to get up from his sit. Gradually add distance and distractions. Then start asking for a down from a different position (e.g., put the dog in a stand-stay to begin with or just give the down command while he is walking around a short distance from you).