BC Boards

Delayed Seizure from overheating

Rave

Just got back from the ER vet. Rave had another seizure from overheating, however this wasn't like the last one, which happened 1 year ago. This time the seizure was delayed about 30-40 minutes. IV Valium immediately stopped the seizure. The ER vet was clueless.

So those of you familiar with EIC or EIH or any of those type conditions, does this sound like any of those? Last year, she overheated to the point of having nuerological symptoms (vet called it a seizure).

Just got back from the ER vet. Rave had another seizure from overheating, however this wasn't like the last one, which happened 1 year ago. This time the seizure was delayed about 30-40 minutes. IV Valium immediately stopped the seizure. The ER vet was clueless.

So those of you familiar with EIC or EIH or any of those type conditions, does this sound like any of those? Last year, she overheated to the point of having nuerological symptoms (vet called it a seizure).

I am not a vet- but I did have a dog that had a form of EIC and it was nothing like a seizure, IMHO. Are you sure it's not an epileptic seizure brought on by the stress of overheating or whatever she is doing prior to the seizure? Does she overheat easily?

I just looked up EIC and watched a video, and you are correct, it's nothing like EIC, so scratch that off the list.

Not sure what it is, I haven't had a chance to confer with my vet friends. The ER vet was limited in her knowledge beyond emergencies.

A dog I used to take care of would have something like siezures after overheating. She would just kind of stagger around and act totally discombobulated. After she cooled off she was fine again. Boy, it really scared me the first time I saw her do it. The owner hadn't told me about it. I thought she was having siezures. Called their country vet and he told me it was just the heat and to get her cooled off.