BC Boards

Pre-beginner question

Fiacha7j

Quick question. I'd like to start herding training with my dog, and have been able to find a couple of trainers in the area. One is about 1 1/2 hrs closer, and breeds and trains Aussies. The other is farther away and works mostly w/ BCs. I don't mind driving the extra distance if it means finding a better fit for Zeke, but I don't know if there's likely to be a big difference between the training styles.

I know it's hard to say w/o more specifics, but based on your experiences with trainers, would it be worthwhile to go w/ the trainer who's farther away?

Having Border Collies, I would choose a trainer who works with Border Collies as my first choice, someone with experience and ability. Period. That would not discount a trainer that is familiar with and works with other breeds as well but, if I want to train a Border Collie, I would choose a Border Collie trainer. Likewise, if I had another breed, I would like to utilize a trainer that worked primarily (or competently) with that breed.

Quick question. I'd like to start herding training with my dog, and have been able to find a couple of trainers in the area. One is about 1 1/2 hrs closer, and breeds and trains Aussies. The other is farther away and works mostly w/ BCs. I don't mind driving the extra distance if it means finding a better fit for Zeke, but I don't know if there's likely to be a big difference between the training styles.

I know it's hard to say w/o more specifics, but based on your experiences with trainers, would it be worthwhile to go w/ the trainer who's farther away?

Would be nice if we knew who the trainers were. Probably should answer privately to this one........Bob

Your in Provo, my old stomping grounds, what you can do, is contact the Utah Stockdog Assoc. There are a lot of USBCHA handlers that do lessons, as well as a very active member group/club that do a lot of mock trials, work days and such, and are willing to help. There you will find foilks that can get you in touch with trainers that are working and training Collies. You;ll like the group, they are a good club, with a knowledgable, helpful, bunch of folks there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the good advice. I think I'd feel more comfortable w/ someone who does more work w/ border collies, but I didn't know if that was reasonable. I know it's hard to answer w/o info on the specific trainers, but didn't want to put anyone in an awkward spot. I'll definitely get in touch w/ the Utah Stockdog Association--I found their website and got the application. I'm excited to find out about them.

Thanks again for the help!