BC Boards

My Service Dog

So, Buddy just woke me up at about 2:55 by standing up and jumping off the bed. Typically, he doesn't do that until I wake up and tell him to. I checked the clock, rolled over, and invited him back up. He came, but remained seated, looking out the bedroom door. Then I heard a tiny chirp from somewhere in the house. Buddy barked a soft "bruff." I drifted off the tiniest bit, and it happened again: Chirp Bruff. Had no idea what it was, so I waited to see if it happened again. Yup. Coming from downstairs somewhere. Buddy was tense and focused, unable to relax. So we waddled downstairs. I went to the bathroom, and Buddy pressed up against me, obviously disturbed. Chirp.

Turns out my cell phone battery was dying, and I must have set it to make a sound to alert me. Darned dog could not relax as long as he was hearing this strange noise. ::Sigh::

He is also a GREAT service dog if the stove or microwave beep to alert me that food is finished cooking. He will come and get me and dance until I get the food.

Other than those situations, not so much.

Mary

So, Buddy just woke me up at about 2:55 by standing up and jumping off the bed. Typically, he doesn't do that until I wake up and tell him to. I checked the clock, rolled over, and invited him back up. He came, but remained seated, looking out the bedroom door. Then I heard a tiny chirp from somewhere in the house. Buddy barked a soft "bruff." I drifted off the tiniest bit, and it happened again: Chirp Bruff. Had no idea what it was, so I waited to see if it happened again. Yup. Coming from downstairs somewhere. Buddy was tense and focused, unable to relax. So we waddled downstairs. I went to the bathroom, and Buddy pressed up against me, obviously disturbed. Chirp.

Turns out my cell phone battery was dying, and I must have set it to make a sound to alert me. Darned dog could not relax as long as he was hearing this strange noise. ::Sigh::

He is also a GREAT service dog if the stove or microwave beep to alert me that food is finished cooking. He will come and get me and dance until I get the food.

Other than those situations, not so much.

Mary

Oh yeah. Pan would have done EXACTLY the same thing. Tiny unfamiliar noises like that are the worst somehow.

I thought the end of this story was going to include a bird in your house! :rolleyes:

FYI Cell phones alert you when the batteries are low. That's a good dog you have there.