BC Boards

Fence Installation Costs

Hello Mark,

I'm trying to estimate the cost to have installed 4880' of high tensile woven wire fence. I can find on-line costs for materials but I cannot find any reliable estimates for labor on the East Coast.

Can anyone help?

Mark

I suggest that you contact the fence company that I used to get an estimate. I recently had high tensile woven wire fencing installed on driven wooden posts by this company, and I couldn't be happier with their service, workmanship, and price. They will come to your farm to estimate the cost of the job, which is probably better than simply getting an estimate for labor sight unseen. If you would like the contact information for this company, I can send it to you privately.

Regards,

nancy

Mark,

E-mail Tony Luper at deacdog @ rtelco.net. I know he just talked to a fence person (who has also put up fence for Henry K.) about fencing in the new pasture area and he (Tony) should be able to give you an idea of what the labor costs were going to be. I think this fellow lives in MD, so could possible give you a direct estimate on your property as well. Tony can give you his contact info.

J.

Well alot of it depends on the strength of fence and the stay of the fence, and also how many End post you will be having, and are you using medal or wood fence post? 4880' would be 305 Rod of fence, You get 20 Rod on a standard roll of fence, and the fence depending on what you want and what you will be wanting to hold, I recommend 1047 6-11 which in my area is running around 265. a roll, Wood fence post in my area run about 8.00 a piece and medal around 5. a piece, End Post are around 35. a piece, Bard Wire is around 85. a roll which is a 80 foot roll. And this does not include no one doing it but yourself. If you just run a quick total you are talking around 10000.00

I suggest you think about something else unless you want to do all of this at once or you have alot of money.

Steve

If we get this property, there isn't much choice but to start putting up fence. The property is a 25 acre parcel from a 142 acre farm. The 25 acre parcel does not have a completely fenced field; the existing fencing crosses the new property lines. What fence is present is old 3 strand barbed wire put up for cattle/cows.

The underlying question I was asking is, if I put up the fence myself would the labor savings pay for a used 40-50hp tractor.

Mark

Hi Mark,

If you can afford to take the time uncompensated, the labor of installation might very well be enough to pay for the tractor. NRCS estimates the cost of installation of "sheep fence" (which can mean a few different things, including HT woven wire with a single electric strand at the top) at $4.75/foot for materials and labor in New Hampshire. I am planning to string about 3800 feet of this stuff this summer, which comes out to $18,050. Materials are about $8K; the rest is labor. My field is not easy to fence. I think there are 18 corners, which increase both materials and labor. The NRCS estimated cost is a generic figure; it is not adjusted based on the site.

If the proportions hold for your site, the total cost should be about $23,200, of which $10,300 would be labor. You should be able to get a halfway decent used tractor for that price. You might have to go older or two wheel drive or no bucket loader, but you should be able to find something.

Another question you need to ask yourself is whether you think you can do the job well enough. You'll have to live with your mistakes for the next 20 to 30 years. Tractor will probably not last that long.

Thanks Bill

As far as mistakes in putting up fence; I've been "practicing" on our current property and have hopefully worked out most of the worst mistakes here. Also, if I were to put the fence up myself I would not do it all at once; I would do a field at a time (small ones around the barns first, one with the spring fed waterer second, remaining field last).

Mark

If you are doing small fields, I'm curious other than permanence (maybe just for that?) why HT in particular? The cost difference and ease of installation between that and high quality field fence is tremendous and works fine for medium term installations in small lots that I, anyway, would probably change my mind on the structure in ten years anyway. :rolleyes: I only have 14 acres here and I'm not putting up anything I can't tear down with my bare hands, practically - it's all going to be in two to three acre lots.