BC Boards

Driving

Little Bo Boop

What's the longest time it's ever taken you to teach a dog to drive? For those of you working with young dogs right now, what do you consider a reasonable or average amount of time before your dog starts to 'get it' ? I know all dogs are different, and go at their own pace, but just an average. Also, any tips for training a driving impaired pup would be most welcome.

Betty

Nine years. It was not the dog's fault, but mine. I just didn't have the right knowlege to help Ben learn until it was almost too late - but he spent another two very useful years after that, and by George he turned out to be a driving fool!

I sometimes wonder what might have happened if Ben and I had had good help early on. Open with Ben - what a thought. :rolleyes:

I really have come to love teaching my dogs to drive- maybe it is because I held back so long when I was more involved in cow dog trials. When I started out, many of the people I worked with did not believe in teaching a drive and as a result, when I tried to start my 5 year old cow dog to drive, she was not a fan. Now of course, I realize how useful driving is, with sheep and cattle. The last dog I successfully taught driving was Jane, and it was so easy, I really only recall how she started doing it on her own and I just went from there. Lucky huh? Well, payback is a b$*$%tch, and this one’s name is Jet. We have been struggling with driving- Jet is very pushy and not the most responsible animal. She’ll do ok for about 30 yards, then push too hard and one of the sheep will split, and it turns into WHEEEE! CHAOS!

She is slowly getting better, and I don’t have much of a steady on her yet, so been working on that as well so I have another gear to put her down too before she gets too forward.

I think so much depends on the dog - it has been a struggle for some years now (Becca has us beat but she had her Ben longer) to work on Celt's drive. I did find out that his father was a washout at driving (and he couldn't have had better training) and so any little progress we can make is a cause for celebration for me.

Kathy Knox helped a great, great deal on this and so has my current trainer. I think most folks are not struggling quite so much with a dog that has Celt's anxiety issues that really increase when trying to drive.

Best wishes to you!

I ended up doing a lot of that (pushing or keeping the sheep off of feed) with my Stella dog who didn't 'get' driving, and I agree that really helped a lot., she's a pretty darn good driver now, but it did take a while. I've tried that same thing with this dog (who happens to be Stella's littermate) but he just does not get it. Every now and again I'll get a glimmer of something, but then he reverts back. Although the sheep move readily off of him, he's very reluctant to donw his head and push. He stops a lot and will turn back and look at me, I can tell that he just doesn't 'get it'. We also do a ton of just walking, me trying to get farther away from him as we go...guess I'll just have to keep walking ;-) He's just two, so we have plenty of time.