BC Boards

How Much?

kylebrk

If I could have my way, Piper and I would be working sheep every evening. However, my schedule is full and right now I can only see us getting away 2 weekends a month to work sheep.

For the more experienced members, is this even worth my time? If I can guarantee that she will have at least two weekends a month to work, is that enough? I'm sure that it could depend on any number of variables that would make it difficult to answer. So I'm just asking for average dog, average handler, and average trainer to be taken in to consideration. I don't know enough to know if my pup is above average, if I'm above average, or if my trainer is above average.

Tell me what you think.

-Kyle

Less time, with good help every time, is pretty much always going to be better than struggling along alone.

Sure it will take longer at only twice a month. But this is a journey, not a race. The end goal is that you learn how to train your dog so that you can be a team.

I agree with the above advice. Do what you can, as often as you can. Especially if your goal is just to learn to work stock, enjoy your dog and the experience, in other words, you're not in any huge rush to get to Open! I can only go 2-3 times a month, and yes, progress is much slower than someone who can go every week or a couple of times a week, but it's been worth every single minute out there.

I've started working both of mine on sheep this winter. I also only go 1-2 times a month. I really have no intention of trialing (I said the same thing about agility though, and Lucia is now only a few runs away from her superior novice title :rolleyes: ) but I really like what it has done for both dogs in the way of self control and confidence. It is also helping me understand a different type of thinking when it comes to training.

I really enjoy learning about stock and working so close with my dogs. I think anytime spent on sheep is awesome :D