BC Boards

New Member old dog

Hi I am mike and I've had my dog for over 16 years. I found him (or he found me) when he was very young (vet said 8 weeks or so) and he had hook worm and looked terrible. Long story short, the vet fixed him up I never found owners so I adopted him (Spot is his name) along with my other 2 males a lab and mutt and they all got along very well. The other 2 dogs have since passed all I have is Spot now.

I think has a lot of BC in him and he used to try and herd my almost blind lab to the doggy door. I never knew he wasn't a barker til the other 2 dogs passed cause he would bark at them barking and now he very seldom barks cept at cats on other side of fence.

He is a smart dog too and very attentive.

For an old dog he gets around pretty good. He has had prostate problems and just recently had to be neutered cause one of them swoll up real big (vet said he had an infection and when it was later examined it was found to have a tumor or cancer I need talk to vet when his stitches come out) but he is doing well now. He has some incontinence problems while sleeping some not bad.

His hind legs give him some problems and he has go up steps slowly and at angle hopping the last step. I have taken good care of him heartworm meds, and keep him flea free (he is allergic to them I believe) and feed him good stuff mostly pedigree with canned Alpo mixed in. He get some of what I eat also at times.

OK enough said, what I want to know is he a full-blooded BC and does anyone recognize him possibly?

Also soon his days are numbered and I will want another BC cause I have grown fond of this dog and if I can adopt another again that would be great.

DSCN0479.jpg

DSCN0643.jpg

Looks all Border Collie to me. Such a sweet looking boy, I am such a sucker for old dogs.

Rescue is always a good route to go, some of the best dogs you'll ever find, much like you did with yours!

Try petfinder.com. I am sure you will find something, there is always new dogs being posted, too many with the way money is for everyone.

Katelynn

Looks all Border Collie to me. Such a sweet looking boy, I am such a sucker for old dogs.

Rescue is always a good route to go, some of the best dogs you'll ever find, much like you did with yours!

Thanks for the info.

Try petfinder.com. I am sure you will find something, there is always new dogs being posted, too many with the way money is for everyone.

Katelynn

What a nice looking old boy he is. Where are you located? Some areas have great Border Collie Rescue organizations that would help you.

Thanks for the complement.I am located in birmingham alabama.

Very handsome! He looks an awful lot like our dearly departed old Aussie, Mac, except for the tail. Mac had similar problems with steps and getting up when he was quite old.

Anyway, I vote for handsome, whether he's Aussie or Border Collie (or both) in background. It's often easier to tell when watching the dog's actual behaviors than just in pictures. Aussies and Border Collies tend to "work" in different postures and approaches.