BC Boards

Feeding

Chantal

So I'm thinking about the time when the new pup comes, beginning of April and I just have no clue what to be feeding him. I've been looking through the threads, doing searches but nothing can really satisfy me. I'm scared of kibble and not knowing what I'm feeding, scared I'll mess up feeding raw. I'm really interested in feeding raw from all the good things and improvement in dogs, just the going at it part... wow. confusion.

-First, what is essential in a dog's nutrition. From 8wks [think BC, so active which agility/frisbee in the future] onwards, and when/how do I change feed for a growing pup? [like vitamins or whatnot that may be needed as he grows and more so at certain point.

-Bones? I've always been told don't feed this type of bone or that type they aren't safe and most information clashes. Is this only more valid when it comes to cooked bones like say from family leftover, or does it apply to none cooked foods as well? Do I leave out the bones or give them to the dog? What about puppies and bones? bones scare me frankly even though I know they are natural.

-Quantity? I have no clue about this at all. I'm assuming I'll have to get a scale and weight everything. I've also heard about people feeding straight from the freezer in the summer time. This might sound dumb, but do I unfreeze everything first like I would before I'd cooked my own food and feed them raw...I've read 2-3% of their body weight, that means about 1.25 lbs for a 50 lbs dog or so? What about in a growing puppy? Do I account the bone mass into the weight equation?

-Variety? Dogs system aren't like ours and i heard change affects them a lot more in food than us, like switching kibbles or going from kibble to raw. So does meat count in this variety, or is meat just meat and you can feed dif types without affecting?

-Veggies? Quantity and how many?

-Can I feed any meat? Fish? Chicken? How about hamburger meat

I'm a student on a student's budget. I'm working part time, and will be switching full time in the summer. My education if covered through my parents/loan so I don't have to worry about that side of things. Is it possible to feed raw on a budget? I mean if I can afford my own meet and veggies shouldn't I be able to afford my dogs?

I live in Newfoundland and all my relatives hunt, moose, patridges, rabbits. Everyone fishes. I could even go home myself and learn to set snares for rabbits and learn some things from my uncle cause we have atleast 20 acres of our own [family] just 45 mins from where I go to school. So hunted meat shouldn't be a problem. But I may also, atleast in the beginning rely on grocery store meat and if I eat it myself I'm assuming it's safe for the dogs...

So many questions and I just don't know where the reliable info is. I can't order a book/dvd online as I don't have a credit card, and our pet/book stores are pretty limited here imo.

Some care to help a lost newbie?

So I'm thinking about the time when the new pup comes, beginning of April and I just have no clue what to be feeding him. I've been looking through the threads, doing searches but nothing can really satisfy me. I'm scared of kibble and not knowing what I'm feeding, scared I'll mess up feeding raw. I'm really interested in feeding raw from all the good things and improvement in dogs, just the going at it part... wow. confusion.

-First, what is essential in a dog's nutrition. From 8wks [think BC, so active which agility/frisbee in the future] onwards, and when/how do I change feed for a growing pup? [like vitamins or whatnot that may be needed as he grows and more so at certain point.

-Bones? I've always been told don't feed this type of bone or that type they aren't safe and most information clashes. Is this only more valid when it comes to cooked bones like say from family leftover, or does it apply to none cooked foods as well? Do I leave out the bones or give them to the dog? What about puppies and bones?

-Quantity? I have no clue about this at all. I'm assuming I'll have to get a scale and weight everything. I've also heard about people feeding straight from the freezer in the summer time. This might sound dumb, but do I unfreeze everything first like I would before I'd cooked my own food and feed them raw...

-Veggies? Quantity and how many?

-Can I feed any meat? Fish? Chicken? How about hamburger meat

I'm a student on a student's budget. I'm working part time, and will be switching full time in the summer. My education if covered through my parents/loan so I don't have to worry about that side of things. Is it possible to feed raw on a budget? I mean if I can afford my own meet and veggies shouldn't I be able to afford my dogs?

I live in Newfoundland and all my relatives hunt, moose, patridges, rabbits. Everyone fishes. I could even go home myself and learn to set snares for rabbits and learn some things from my uncle cause we have atleast 20 acres of our own [family] just 45 mins from where I go to school. So hunted meat shouldn't be a problem. But I may also, atleast in the beginning rely on grocery store meat and if I eat it myself I'm assuming it's safe for the dogs...

So many questions and I just don't know where the reliable info is. I can't order a book/dvd online as I don't have a credit card, and our pet/book stores are pretty limited here imo.

Some care to help a lost newbie?

Wow it sounds like you have lots of great sources for protien. I dont know alot about feeding raw esp game but, I'm sure I could cook up some mean foods for my dogs with that variety. here is a neat link someone here gave me http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

I would start with what the breeder feeds, and slowly branch out as I felt comfortable. Raw should improve your budget, not hurt it - especially if you can get wild game as you describe. My only caveat on wild game would be parasites.

The best thing you can find is another raw feeder, especially one with lots of experience in it, that you can work with in person....

after that, it is best to get some good books like The Ultimate Diet (Schultze), or the book by Carina Beth Mcdonald, then Billinghurts books, etc. Perhaps you book stores could order what you find on line?

I've fed raw to my all my dogs for over 10 years. Puppies eat the same foods, just minced better at first so they can eat it. They eat more food per pound that adults - about 10% of their body weight as opposed to 3-4 % like an adult. Other than that it is the same rules of thumb - mostly raw meat and bones, a little veggies and dairy, keep the pups lean and fit.

I don't feed raw other than the occasional treat, chicken neck or whatever. But if you are going to look into feeding wild game, which should only be better than commercial meat, I would find info on Moose livers. I remember (like in the 80's) that we would just chuck out the liver because of some chemical that was being sprayed, by plane, over N.Ontario. Now, I don't know if it's still that way now and I don't know if your area would have had the same treatment, but it's something worth keeping in the back of your head!

Thanks for that link Sheryl, lots of good info on that espescially external links. I'll definetely look more into parasites and the moose livers thing. I'll ask my family about it this they have first hand experience with what parts they keep, give to the dogs and such. As for parasites I don't know much about them frankly. Are they killed when us humans cook the food before we eat? Or are only in certain animals and cooking would not do anything for it regardless? Because we all eat this same meat in the province and I haven't heard of parasite problems or anything, so is worming a good preventitive or is there nothing I can do except hope it doesn't...

heres some sights that helped me alot

http://rawfed.com/myths/expensive.html

http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-animals/...d-diet-for-dogs

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/faq.php

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/diet/exp-diet-guide.pdf

http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html

hope they help

ps feed a pup 4 to 5% of their body wieght is what i was told to do .

I usually feed 2-3% of body weight, BUT for a puppy, it's more like 4-5%. Starting that young, I'd say 5% of body weight. So if the puppy is 20 lbs, you'd feed 1 lb, and as puppy grows, you might have to increase and then once they're around a year old, you'll probably start heading back toward the 2-3% range. At one point, Bosco was eating the same amount as an adult Great Dane. Now, he gets about 2 lbs a day (he's 75 lbs). The main thing is to just watch their weight. If they're getting chubby, back off on the amount. If they seem thin, increase. Just like you'd do with kibble (since the amount on the bag is just a starting suggestion, and for some dogs that won't be enough, and for some dogs it will be too much). I have to adjust Kira by season. During leaf season, she gets 2 lbs, and during non-leaf season (or if she's stealing Bosco's food ), I have to sometimes back her down to 1 lb, or give her 1 lb for a few days and then 2 lbs for a day. I don't weigh stuff, but I know how to eyeball amounts. Wanagi gets about 3 lbs. He's a much bigger dog (Great Pyrenees), but not *real* active like Bosco and Kira are.
that was my friend who has been feeding raw for years reply