BC Boards

Are hiccups a sign of worms?

Rave

I've come across some vague mention of a possible wives tale that hiccups are a sign of worms in a dog. Is that an actual wive's tale? I've never heard of it before. The reason I ask is Wick has roundworms now and has hiccups! The hiccups are a weird recent thing, not something she's done often, but I've noticed it within the last couple weeks. I mentioned the hiccups to the vet when she was in for her yearly exam and he just laughed. Wouldn't it be funny if hiccups were a sign of worms? I'll be interested to see if the hiccups disappear when the worms do.

Oh another question, how long does it take to clear up roundworms in a dog? I'm keeping Wick away from public places while she has them, so just wanted to know for how long. She's had one dose of Strongid and will get another in 10 days. Thanks!

I've never heard that one before. I haven't seen a correlation. I have noticed that my little puppies seem to get hiccups more than my adult dogs, but in general, not if they have worms.

It's been so long since I've dealt with worms, I'm happy to say I have no idea when roundworms are cleared out.

Hmmm....I haven't heard that either. Lucia went through a hiccup stage between 8 and 10 months and hasn't had then since. Grady is currently going through the hiccups and he's 11 months. I'm possitive that he doesn't have worms and Lucia has never tested poss for any kind of worm.

I'm curious what others have to say about it.

Both the pups (well, they're almost 1 now) here got hiccus a couple times a day when puppies. Jake still does.

Neither of them have worms. I've not heard that hiccus could be a sign of worms.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about an adult dog. And I'm not worried, just was researching roundworms and ran across a couple things that mentioned hiccups at the same time, so researching a possible "old wives' tale" since my dog has both at the same time. thought it was comical.

• 11 years later...

Yes, they are a sign of worms. If your dog starts to get hiccups daily, it is a sign that worms are blocking the passage ways in their chest. This isn't always the case, but if your dog gets hiccups daily I would definitely have a parasite check done just to be safe. The old wise tale is sometimes true. 

Deidra Jones