BC Boards

Bleeding during playtime

JaderBug

Took Jade to the park today, and in all her running around one of her pads got ripped... not on the foot/toes, the nubby one on the "wrist"? Anyway, she was bleeding, but didn't show any sign of limping or like she was in pain at all, just continued to be super excited about frisbee time. I decided we should probably head back when I noticed it. Now that we're home she's still not limping, but she is licking it constantly.

My question is, should I have stopped playing the second I noticed it, or is it okay to keep playing? What does everyone here do in that situation?

Minor bleeding on the feet, gums or tongue doesn't really worry me. Emphasis on minor. We often see blood when playing rough or fetching avidly.

If a dog is limping for more than a few steps, then I would be concerned. I would check to see that the wound is clean.

My question is, should I have stopped playing the second I noticed it, or is it okay to keep playing? What does everyone here do in that situation?

Skye hurt her carpal pad (I think that's the one up the back of the leg) a while back and it began to bleed as well. We stopped playing and went home but only because I couldn't tell what was hurt and I wanted to check her out thoroughly at home. She had already been playing a long time and I was ready to go home anyway :rolleyes:

She licked it for a bit and then it healed perfectly well. There was no limping and no favouring or after-effects. I consider that pad to be the 'accident waiting to happen' pad anyway.

Ailsa

This happens to Kyla all of the time, especially on that carpal pad (the one on her "wrist" right?)

Usually it happens when there is snow and ice on the ground, and not usually in the summer months.

I just check it to be sure it is a minor problem and then let her take care of it.

I also put some Bag Balm on her pads, especially that one, when the pads start to get really dry. Her carpal pads get really dry and caloused.

Does anyone else do this?

Guest maya's mom

Maya has had a few little cracks on various pads, that will bleed when we are running around outside. It has only happened this winter, so I think the snow/ice is to blame. She also wasn't bothered by it, and we went out every day for playtime as usual. In less than a week, the cracks we healed. I also use Musher's Secret, which does help most of the time.

I also put some Bag Balm on her pads, especially that one, when the pads start to get really dry. Her carpal pads get really dry and caloused.

Hmm, Senneca has a problem with those pads too. When the dry skin cracks, it's painful. I just bought some bag balm, but immediatly after I applied it, she dived into her crate and started licking it off. How do you get her to leave it alone long enough to get absorbed? If I try to cover it she'll tear off a sock or tape the moment she sees I'm not watching.

Guest maya's mom

We put the Musher's on Maya right before we head outside. It isn't totally absorbed yet, but once she is outside, she is so excited to play, that she doesn't bother licking it. (She does try to lick it as we are applying it though!) The snow does tend to stick to her paws a little more when we do it this way, but it still doesn't build up, or create those ice balls. Then by the time we come in, she does lick her paws a little, but it is already absorbed. And the next few days we go out, her paws are nice and dry and free from snow/ice balls. Depending on the weather, we usually apply every 3-4 days.

Just had another question in regards to the bag balm suggestions... how do you put it on? Do you put the balm on the pads and then put socks on their feet for a while until it's absorbed? Every time I try to put anything like that on Jade's feet, or anywhere on her, she licks it right off... that or the socks fall off if I put those on too. Just wondering what people did for that... if they had the same problem...

Ouzo is addicted to Bag Balm (and Neosporin :rolleyes: ) - and he begs for his (almost) daily dose of it. He carefully licks it off, but despite this, it still works. Well, it's been working for a year. It stopped working last Saturday at the dog park where Ouzo injured 4 out of 4 paw pads - he rubbed off half of his "nobby" toes on both front paws, and shaved off quarter size circles from his back paws. He was walking like an old lady this weekend, and had to wear socks on his back feet when outisde, but today he's not showing any pain and the pads have started to heal.