BC Boards

Not about border collies but...

MickeyDogs

I just rediscovered the wonder and delight of reading the stories written by James Herriot (pen name for Alf Wright). I read his books in the late 1970s & 80s and recommend them to anyone who loves animals, the Yorkshire Dales and the amusing autobiographical perils of being a young country vet.

I just this past summer found two hard covers of his writtings at an outdoor flea market. They are in incredibly great shape for being older books, and they only cost me 12.00 for the two! Ive always enjoyed his stories, and will read these to the grandkids when they are old enough to sit still for longer than 10 seconds. Until then, I will read and re read them as I have since I was a child. Tricky Woo never gets old! Alf/AKA James was a very talented soul, in more ways than one.

I did a bunch of them as books on tape, a couple summers ago when I was repainting my stairs and hall in the miserable, humid weather. These are great books to listen to that way - full of short stories and amusing characters, easy to step into and out of as you need to turn the player on and off.

Books on tape are perhaps the best thing I've found for getting motivated to do unpleasant household chores. :rolleyes:

Mary

I have my copies from the 70's and 80's, and still occasionally re-read them - he was a very talented storyteller and his common sense but compassionate viewpoint towards animals was always very moving. Every time I go through the stress of putting a much-loved pet to sleep, I always remember a line in one of his books about the last thing the pet feels is the kindness of a human touch and it gives me a measure of comfort.

My original copies are falling to pieces but I still read them. In fact, I just finished them again for the upteenth time. Some of my children have also read them. I really need to get new copies because some are missing pages. At work, they were asking me just "how old is that book?" when I was last reading one of them. I replied that I got it in 1975.

Thanks to these books, I have managed to safely deliver many goat kids and some calves, spot some animal problems, and have a window on a life that it is particularly pleasant to contemplate from the comfy chair in a cozy house. He's always struck me as warm, caring, and compassionate about both the animals and the people - just like my own vet.

My husband and I have watched and enjoyed every episode that Netflix has to offer (always keeping our eyes open for those that feature sheepdogs or have sheepdogs in the background).

I'll have to order that book (by his son) at work on Tuesday - it sounds like something I will enjoy reading more than once. Thanks for mentioning it as I didn't know about it.

I think my husband knows every book by heart. And every episode of the series. We definitely prefer the Carol Drinkwater version of Helen. But 7 PM on Sunday is sacrosanct because that's when our PBS station shows "All Creatures".

We have also seen "Herriot's" Yorkshire.

We've stayed (many times) on a farm - Garth House in Dalton - owned by a couple who went to school with the Wight kids. Alf was their vet until he retired, then his son was. We've wandered around Thirsk and watched the surgery develop into the World of Herriot museum, which we've toured.

And we've spent a lot of time in the North Yorkshire Dales. We usually stay in Askrigg, which is where Herriot, as opposed to Wight, practiced. Skeldale house (from the TV series0 is a private house, across the street from The King's Arms, which is the Drover's Arms in the show. A nice pint to be had there. We've hiked around Semerwater - as James does - and all over the Dales. Honest, it still looks and feels just like the stories.

If you love the books, go to Wensleydale and Swaledale. End of March to beginning of April, before Easter, is the best time to get the real Herriot feel. The Swaledale sheep are lambing in pens behind the cottages. The public footpaths go thought farms - and ewes and lambs. If you walk up to Askrigg Common, above Askrigg and sit on the bench, you look down on Wensleydale and hear an incredibly cacophony of sheep and lambs. The Crown - in either Askrigg or Hawes ( mother and son are the landlords) serve wonderful meals - and great pints. The smell of coal fires in the evening is incredible. One time, we look out the window of the Crown in Askrigg to see a farmer and his collies bring a huge flok of Swaledales through the High Street.

Geeze, I have to go make reservations to Heathrow!

the last thing the pet feels is the kindness of a human touch and it gives me a measure of comfort.
OK... that got me... so typical of his writing (teary-eyed sitting here on the couch).

Thanks to these books, I have managed to safely deliver many goat kids and some calves,
Hee! One year during lambing a ewe was unable to deliver her one huge lamb - his one foreleg was folded back not letting him out. When I got there my first thought was "What would James Herriot do?" I have to say that did help and I was able to stick my hand up into the ewe to pull the leg forward and "Little Debbie", as my friends named him :rolleyes: , was born.

In the early 90s we were in the Yorkshire Dales. They were lovely, if wet. We were there 17 days and we had only 3 days that were totally dry. We didn't care though - beautiful countryside, friendly, warm people and fun pubs! Hey Nancy, can you make that reservation for two? :D

Make it for three!

I've never been but Ed was able to visit once during a December (!) trip to Scotland and Denmark. He managed a few days in Yorkshire, and I'm the big Herriot fan in the family! If we ever manage to go back over the pond, we'll hit Scotland again and Yorkshire for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I want to go too! I've read and re-read every Herriot book there is plus the one written by his son. I also have my original, given to me by my boyfriend's Mother back in the 70s. I just love the way he wrote. I want to see the Yorkshire dales myself one day. Maybe we can get a travel discount for a group of Herriot fans? LOL

If any of you really do decide to go, I can recommend some B&Bs in the Dales (where the stories are set). And a great one outside Thirsk (where Alf Wight actually practiced) - shared bathrooms but our absolute favorite. And some really wonderful pubs, including names of the best ales.

If any of you are also fans of Last of the Summer Wine, I can provide even more info.

I also know two good B&Bs and some hikes and pubs in Haworth - if you're a Bronte fan or have seen the 1970 version of The Railway Children.

The end of March to before Easter is a great time to go - and is off-season. I pack so I can wear layers - and take them off if it warms up. It's the driest time. And the place is full of baby lambs.

You could fly from Pittsburgh to Heathrow and back for ~$1000.

Rent the smallest car you can - my driveway is wider than most major roads in Yorkshire and the little cars do quite well on the M roads.

Stay in "low-end" B&Bs - they're way more fun - even sharing the bathroom is fine when there are only 2 or 3 guest rooms. And eat the full English breakfast that's part of the B&B price. That will hold you 'til dinner, with a half pint or two as you hike or tour.

Then have dinner in a pub. We share a meal or get the "pensioner's" serving. And I can point you to some wonderful "Sunday Carveries" that are fantastic mid-day meals on days when not all pubs are serving evening meals.

Honest, it's an incredibly affordable vacation.