BC Boards

Fish Oil

NorthfieldNick

I just bought some fish oil capsules for my mix, Lu. She's getting older and could use the supplement (none for Nick! Fish makes him explosive.) How much should I give her? According to the bottle, each capsule has 450 mg of EPA/DHA. I know un-pilled oil is probably better, but I need to start easy. This dog would happily live on fish, so I figure if nothing else, she'll enjoy it :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I bought that Lipiderm with vitamins A & E and Zinc. Sorry......still have the flu and my glasses aren't working correctly. Hate this time of the year. Seems to keep their coats nice and shiny. Main ingredients is fish oil. I purchased it at H3 pets in Meridian. Good pet store. The dogs coats look very healthy and I've been commented on how well they look. Just a few drops maybe 6 or 7 in their food each time and it keeps them very healthy and looking great. JMO.

Ben, start with one and add 200 units of vit e each day that you give it to her. I always cut or prick the capsule open, I've seen things come out whole the other end before. The vit e makes the body better able to utilize the fatty acids. I think it was John Lloyd Jones who had a wonderful post a while back about the exact mechanism.

My girls both will get diarrhea if I give them too much fish oil, which is why I recommend starting with one cap/day and then adding to that. It does wonders for their coats.

Ruth

Ben, start with one and add 200 units of vit e each day that you give it to her. I always cut or prick the capsule open, I've seen things come out whole the other end before.

I find one capsule a day is fine as a supplement (there's probably some Omega-3s in their food already). Senneca picks the capsule out of her breakfast kibble first and enjoys bursting it herself. Some perverse doggy logic tells her to do that over the carpet (and, of course, there's a tendency to splatter a drop or two). I now stand in her way until the capsule is consumed.