BC Boards

What mix was JR?

I have always wondered and I can't believe it never occurred to me to ask you guys what you thought since you're more familiar with the collie type breeds. This was my parents first dog together. I don't remember him at all, though.

JR1.jpg

Mom and JR.

jr2.jpg

There's obviously some form of collie but I can't quite decide which one or mixed with what. He always looked just almost like a smooth collie but not quite. I can't put my finger on what it is though- more moderate I suppose. He was found in rural northern Texas in the eighties as a stray which really makes me wonder about the smooth collie thing. Just doesn't seem likely.

Sorry they're black and white. I had to take a picture of a picture to get it to turn out and the color turned out weird so I just made it black and white. He was a light sable.

Maybe shepherd and smooth collie?

btw: you're mom was extremely pretty :rolleyes:

Thanks! I think she was gorgeous too. I'm told I look like her but I don't see it, lol!

I found one more:

jr3.jpg

I had never even thought of GSD, but that makes sense. We had another GSD mix after him that looked a lot more shepherdy so I guess that's why I didn't even think of it.

My monitor here at work is carppy. Pics are pretty dark, but what Ailsa said: smooth-coat collie and German shepherd.

And just to mix it up a bit, there's something about her chest/tummy/tuck in the b/w photo that says Greyhound or Whippet to me.

(told ya' I have a carppy monitor :rolleyes: )

I don't think there's anything but collie, farm bred, in there. Some of the old farm dogs DID have some shepherd in them from back when Everyone Had To Have Rin Tin Tin as a pet dog. But it doesn't have to be bred close to explain the look.

I think you should contact the Farm Collie people with these pictures - they'd be interested I believe. I don't know how much information they have on historic smooth collies.

I don't think there's anything but collie, farm bred, in there. Some of the old farm dogs DID have some shepherd in them from back when Everyone Had To Have Rin Tin Tin as a pet dog. But it doesn't have to be bred close to explain the look.

I think you should contact the Farm Collie people with these pictures - they'd be interested I believe. I don't know how much information they have on historic smooth collies.

Since I remember wearing those clothes and hair, does that make me historic too? LOL JK I think collie is right.