BC Boards

Thoughts on NADAC

CPE tighter than NADAC? haha Can't say that's been my experience! CPE here has been very NADAC-like, i.e. simple boring courses with very little challenge.

In CPE, it depends a lot on the judge. I can think of only one judge I've done CPE under who had NADAC-like courses. Usually they are tighter with more nuanced challenges. Level 1, of course, isn't usually so challenging, but Maddie is in Level 2 Standard (out of 5, for anyone reading who might not know that) and we've seen some challenges - some tough serpentines, in particular, and quite a few off course pieces set in ways that really "tempt" a dog who might be inclined to make his or her own course upon seeing those pieces.

I'm getting familiar with the course style of some of the judges that I've trialed under more than once, and some are simply easier than others. Some are not so easy, but my dog does well on that' judge's courses and some are not so difficult, but my dog struggles on those courses!!

But I've found CPE and NADAC courses to be quite distinct from one another in this area.

I was going to suggest it was a judge thing as well since the other person had only been to one trial. Also quite possible we define "challenging" differently. I started at Level 3 and found it wasn't challenging at all (and wasn't expecting it to be, I wasn't there for the challenge), but I am used to running Masters USDAA courses. Looked at the L5 courses, which didn't appear challenging either. The courses were wide open requiring zero collection. There was a discrimination here or there, but I don't consider that a challenge or need for collection with that obstacle spacing, same for serpentines. So yeah it might be the judge - you'll see that at any venue - but the courses were approved as CPE courses at a CPE trial. If you find nadac elite challenging, you might find cpe challenging. That's why there's different venues, so everyone can compete at their comfort level/venue with what they personally find challenging.