BC Boards

What Do You Say?

sheepandakom

I think some of the nicest adult dogs start out as joy riding puppies.

I work lots of breeds on my sheep. Mostly I find that the people are respectful of them and are willing to put the effort in to make it work. Maybe they don't have the easiest breed or individual, but they accept that or decide it's not for them.

I think some of the nicest adult dogs start out as joy riding puppies.

I work lots of breeds on my sheep. Mostly I find that the people are respectful of them and are willing to put the effort in to make it work. Maybe they don't have the easiest breed or individual, but they accept that or decide it's not for them.

I have had alot of different breeds out as well, and for the most part people are open to understanding the difference between work and chase. I prefer to work with Border Collies, of course, but I have to say that I am more likely to bang my head against the wall trying to convince a border collie owner that they do not need to breed their dog, than another breed. I find that border collie pet owners are the most likely to think that herding the cat, kids, cars as a sign that they "have the instinct" while other breed owners see it as "what a dog does". Add to that their success at agility or flyball, both very popular in this area, and I have even a tougher job at trying to explain what is behind breeding decent border collies.

I have found that most pet owners, border collie or not, are anxious not to let the dogs hurt the sheep. I usually have to tell them to please not correct their dog verbally while I am trying them out on sheep, even if things look wild for a little bit.

Don't forget the pretty colors.

I have found that most pet owners, border collie or not, are anxious not to let the dogs hurt the sheep. I usually have to tell them to please not correct their dog verbally while I am trying them out on sheep, even if things look wild for a little bit.

I've found this is true also. The worst trouble I have is from people who have been on sheep a couple times or have a beginner title on their dog of some sort. And, I know this might be sacrilege to say here, but in my experience the worst joyriders are poorly bred Border Collies, in general. And their owners are the worst to stand and do nothing (in the case of people who are more advanced), or giggle and say, "Look, he's herding the sheepies!" Or the more advanced ones will grumble about my sheep, which don't stand around and wait to be abused.

Of course, the most savage dogs (ones that took way too much correction to get under control), were certainly "other" breeds.

I tend to go by the person's attitude before we go to the sheep. I'm a sheep geek and tend to want to "talk shop" endlessly before getting to the dog stuff. That alone will cull off the sheep-as-dog-toys crowd, usually.

I also used to pretty much strictly trade sheep chores for sheep time - that also scares off people who aren't interested in the sheep as much as I am. And the hoof trimming/ear tagging/vaccinations/shearing came before the sheep time, except that I tended to encourage those with more advanced dogs and little access to sheep, to use their dogs for the chores.

The worst joyriders I have seen are sports-bred Border Collies as they tend to be VERY interested but lack impulse control. I also hear that the Belgian breeds tend to be somewhat violent with sheep, probably because they are so mouthy to begin with. (That said, I have seen one very nice Terv, albeit at a very beginner level.)

The other herding breed dogs seem more often to be uninterested than too interested.

I have had such bad experiences with "herding breed" mixes that I don't generally allow them to come out. I've never had a really bad Aussie, they don't tend to be grippy, just frustratingly bouncy :rolleyes:. The absolute worst dog was a Rottie that was protection trained. I did not know this until after I beat it over the head with a stick for about two minutes while it clamped down harder on one of my old girls and left a six inch wound. I said never again for Rotties but got talked into my sheep land lady's friends dog- while he isn't the keenest animal in the world and is more interested in "dating" sheep instead of working them, he does have a modicum of bend and is a good listener and has never once laid his teeth on a sheep. Even the sheep like him, and they are pretty good judges of the dogs. They even forgive him when he forgets to stay behind them and just joins the flock. I have no illusions that he's a working dog and the owners are more about the dog enjoying it (which he does), but it's a very low stress way to pay the hay bills. I never would have guessed that a Rottie would have become friends with the dang sheep. Guess they are getting a little too broke LOL.

I'm the most cautious with the big breeds because of the sheer capability to cause damage. Their owners though, have so far been gems. They are more than willing to do what is necessary - pre-obedience, even muzzling - to make sure the sheep are safe until we see if we have herding genetics we can work with. German Shepherds, Rotties, Briards.... A caveat on the Rotties though, I've yet to see a male who isn't more aggression than herding. Something gender linked there - the girls herd, the male guard? No scientific proof, just observations.

I can't say the same for the more typical herding breeds. I really hate to see "trained" Aussies anymore - they are usually titled professional drive by grippers who quit the minute you insist they work in a good stockdoglike manner. They offer nothing consistant except inconsistancy. one day ability, one minute ability, then poof...sorry, were you talking to me? what are those creatures with the fluff on them? Aaaaugggghhh! And their owners...bless them! Many have been brainwashed by "breed specific" help :rolleyes: Some of it is not the dogs fault - what on earth do these "trainers" object to a dog being allowed to actually *work*. It's no wonder the dogs are frustrated and dashing about madly. Some of the dogs have spent literally months, if not years, being walked around stock on a rope in a round pen.

Belgians....the Tervs and Sheepdogs so far have been very soft dogs, with a few exceptions. The only Malinois I've seen herding are good - a lot of that being because of a strong and talented handler in charge.

I will work with BC mixes, but so far the other mixes brought to me were nightmares. I had a lady inquire about a 4 year old Heeler/JRT mix. Now if this had been a farmer just trying ot get control enough to push some cows I would have helped. But try it - as a hobby? Sorry, no. Not that cross. Not my sheep. Talk about impulse control issues!

I will work with BC mixes, but so far the other mixes brought to me were nightmares. I had a lady inquire about a 4 year old Heeler/JRT mix. Now if this had been a farmer just trying ot get control enough to push some cows I would have helped. But try it - as a hobby? Sorry, no. Not that cross. Not my sheep. Talk about impulse control issues!

I think if it were my sheep I would also be very leery about what breed of dog I welcomed. I own and love ACDS but they are purpose bred for wild station cattle and are amazing workers in these tough dangerous conditions. I personally dont think they are suited to sheep and neither do most sheep farmers I know and I would never ask them if I could try out my ACDS on their sheep. A JRT - certainly not!.

I would be interested to know what an experienced person would make of my BC though.