BC Boards

Has anyone used Advantage Multi?

ziggzmom

Hi,

Has anyone used Advantage Multi or know anything about it? My friend took her two dogs in for their heartworm test and this is what her veterinarian prescribed for her. I've used Advantage, but not the Multi and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Thanks in advance~

Janet

It's called Advocate in Australia. I use it because it's just easier to remember to apply one monthly spot-on then to use one product for fleas and another for intestinal worms and another for heartworm. It contains moxidectin as well as the imidacloprid that is in normal Advantage. Moxidectin is regularly used for parasite prevention in cattle and sheep (here in Aus anyway) and is also effective in treating demodectic mites, although I don't think the product claims this anymore.

The only thing it doesn't control is Tapeworm, and because my dogs have a tendency to eat geckos :rolleyes: I have to give them a tapewormer every three months also.

What I have been hearing is that if the dog is already infected with worms there may be something showing like rounds if checked between doses.

I also have heard that if you live in a high tick area like KY. It isnt as effective as it's expected to be. Our biggest humane in Ky uses it on dogs they are sending.

It's a great idea for complience of using something and a good price though.

I also have heard that if you live in a high tick area like KY. It isnt as effective as it's expected to be. Our biggest humane in Ky uses it on dogs they are sending.

As far as I know it's not supposed to prevent ticks and doesn't claim to. Neither of the active ingredients are known tick preventatives. I alternate with Advantix during summer (when ticks are bad here) and spray my dogs with Permoxin spray after they've been running in the horse paddocks, long grass etc.

There is more info on the Bayer website http://www.advocate-spot-on.com/