BC Boards

Herding in the snow

Bo Peep

I'm due for a lesson here on Tuesday. The snow is much heavier west, I'm due for a double lesson. Although, the poor PT Cruiser might not make it up the hill. I'm a tad bit worried about the dogs paws and the snow. Anyone have any comments one this? I'm sure it won't bother him while he's working - yet afterwords, hmmmm.

You've got snow, we just had our little coating melt off overnight!

I've never had a problem with snow other than the little snowballs that form on the hairs of the feet. I'm trying clipping the longer foot hairs this year to see if it makes any difference. The snow balls seem worse the colder it is.

Other than that, I wouldn't have a concern. Enjoy your lesson!

As long as it is warm enough you shouldn't have any problems working dogs in the snow. We worked four of our dogs on Saturday and have plenty of snow here in Minnesota. I think the only one who suffered was me as my one hip got sore after wards from having to lift my feet higher to walk thru the snow. :rolleyes: That is what I get for getting older. :D Now it is way too cold to go out and work dogs. It is -10 with wind chills around -30.

Kathy

I just sent an e-mail to all. Trying to get 2 trainers in one day- did NOT expect the snow. My trainer would have to actually have to drive me to the other trainer. LOL. But they can compare notes and find out how things are going. I did NOT expect this snow. It's much heavier on the east side and we are headed west. Not real sure of my directions either-

My little car won't make it. WHY OH WHY did I sell the pick-up for a PT Cruiser? :rolleyes:

Another problem, I have trouble walking.....especially backwards- hope the sheep do too. Snow is NOT going to help.

The one thing about finding a good trainer is that they don't mind if you go to to others for a 2nd opinion. Even if they have to drive you there themselves.

As long as it is warm enough you shouldn't have any problems working dogs in the snow. We worked four of our dogs on Saturday and have plenty of snow here in Minnesota. I think the only one who suffered was me as my one hip got sore after wards from having to lift my feet higher to walk thru the snow. :rolleyes: That is what I get for getting older. :D Now it is way too cold to go out and work dogs. It is -10 with wind chills around -30.

Kathy

Kathy, you're getting soft in your old age. Having just got back from working dogs this morning, I can say that there are advantages to working at -10F. The sheep like it and are good and "frisky", you don't need to worry about the dogs overheating, and you don't need to worry about holding your whistle with gloves on because it's welded to your lower lip.

Yesterday's weather here was bizarre. At 2PM it was 38F and raining. By 10PM it was 0F and snowing. This morning, it was -12F and sunny. That's a drop of 50 degrees in 12 hours.

Headed to Vancouver later this week where 10cm of snow paralyzed the city. I guess that's what happens in a place that gets so little snow that instead of a fleet of plows, they have a half dozen city workers with snow shovels to clear the roads the twice a year that it snows.

Pearse

Kathy, you're getting soft in your old age. Having just got back from working dogs this morning, I can say that there are advantages to working at -10F. The sheep like it and are good and "frisky", you don't need to worry about the dogs overheating, and you don't need to worry about holding your whistle with gloves on because it's welded to your lower lip.

Yesterday's weather here was bizarre. At 2PM it was 38F and raining. By 10PM it was 0F and snowing. This morning, it was -12F and sunny. That's a drop of 50 degrees in 12 hours.

Pearse

Yes, I'll admit it I am getting soft in my old age. I didn't feel like working dogs in -30 wind chills. :rolleyes: Speaking of whistles freezing to a person's lip, I wonder if those Corian whistles won't freeze to your lip??

Did you see the Sun Dog this morning?? It was one of the most intense ones that I have seen with bright spots off to the left and right of the sun. I took some pictures.

You're right, yesterday's weather was bizarre. We were down cleaning out the barn and shelter areas cuz everything was melting in the morning. Then we went back down at 1 pm as the winds had really picked up and we wanted to close down the barn. Everything was frozen. It was like March in the morning and January in the afternoon.

Kathy

Headed to Vancouver later this week where 10cm of snow paralyzed the city. I guess that's what happens in a place that gets so little snow that instead of a fleet of plows, they have a half dozen city workers with snow shovels to clear the roads the twice a year that it snows.

We were NOT paralyzed, we merely chose to stay inside and enjoy the warm glow of the TV.

It's 60 here right now, and a winter storm advisory is on for tonight. I wish the weather would make up its mind...

No kidding--6 hours ago it was 37, now it's 21.

More directly on topic, our city dogs have been out to work in the snow the last two week-ends. They loved it (and they always do)--Kyzer seemed esp. delighted (the snow he was working in was about 6 inches or so). No issues with their pads or anything like that. Tansy was pretty stiff after the first week-end, though.

The sheep were fun and frisky. And it was a good work-out for everyone--me included (and actually, I have no idea if it was a good work-out for the sheep). Plus, the added bonus of trying out our new winter gear....

On another note, living in the mountains of Utah for many years where the snow can get deep, there were times I certinly didnt work my dogs, not from worrying about their pads, but worrying about injury to sheep and dogs as in leg and spine injuries just to name a couple due to slipping and slidding on the packed snow. Fresh snow was never an issue, but it doesnt take long for an area to get packed and slippery, and to me that is just inviting an accident. Ya might want to think about just holding off the lesson till the ground is a bit less dangerous to you, the dogs and the sheep. JMO

Now if it was real work that needed to be done, thats a different story.

Did you see the Sun Dog this morning?? It was one of the most intense ones that I have seen with bright spots off to the left and right of the sun. I took some pictures.

Kathy

As promised here is one of the photos that I took of the sun dog. You can see the rest in the photo gallery.

Kathy

004.jpg

OK, I take it all back. It's not fit for man nor beast out there in this weather.

I'm amazed that the sheep do so well at these temperatures. Mine have a run in shed to protect them from the wind and especially from the sleet but when I went out there to check on them this morning they were all laying on some hay by one of the feeders and not in the shed.

The dogs don't seem to mind that much either when they are moving. I was out clearing the sidewalks tonight and the dogs were tearing around the yard like mad things seemingly oblivious to the bone chilling cold.

Apparently, this is the coldest it has been in December here since 1996. I remember moving to Saint Paul from Saskatoon in October of 1995 and thinking the winter was mild by comparison. The winter in '96 was more typical (lots of snow and a couple of weeks of below zero) but still milder than Saskatoon, but since then we've been spoiled by late snow and warm temps. Looks like this winter will be more typical.

Pearse

OK, I take it all back. It's not fit for man nor beast out there in this weather.

Well, we certainly don't have snow here, but does over 3.25" of rain in the past 10 hours count for anything? And it's still coming down, although not as hard as it was most of the day. My pasture sits in the flood plain, so I have lots of standing water (small lakes) and little rivers flowing. The "pond"--a hole where a bus (yes, a bus, so it's a bus-sized hole) was once buried (before my time) is full and overflowing with water. I'm usually hard core, but I didn't work any dogs today, either. Only went out to check on everyone a few times and to feed,

A

ETA: but it's GREEN out there!! :rolleyes:

Darn worry wort me. Turns out the further west you go, the less snow there is. Had my first lesson with my new trainer then he drove me to my old trainers house. Just in case my little car didn't make it. I let the new trainer work the dog, we are having trouble on long out-runs. The old trainer gave him some tips and also told me that I have a good trainer. So.......That boosted the new trainers confidence and mine for making a good choice. The new trainer said "It's mostly in the breeding" So everyone left on a happy note, even though it was 20 degrees out. I still have all my toes. There wasn't much snow and we decided we need to move to a much larger field than 2 acres. Merry Christmas Usher. Enjoy your nap.

The dogs and sheep don't seem to mind the cold and snow, but if you want a fast, not too expensive way to keep your hands and feet warm during lessons try using feet and hand warmers. Much easier to concentrate when not worring if your feet are going to become ice chunks by the time the lesson is over.

Kathy, thats a beautiful pic you captured, nice of you to share!

Samantha

I guess I shouldn't complain about how cold I was yesterday when it was 47 and rainy, huh? Our temps are going to the other extremes--low 40s for most of the week and then it's supposed to be 70 (!) on Friday. Not that I'm complaining, mind you--it might even help dry up the muck around here thanks to days of rain (can't complain about that either, since we're apparently still about 5" below the norm for the year). But really it would be nice if the temps would stay either high or low and not fluctuate wildly from one extreme to the other.

J.