BC Boards

What color is my pup?

We are a working ranch family and we recently brought home a pup from a nice litter that was said to be a red merle....but I think she might be a lilac merle. She also has light yellow/tan around the eyes....so perhaps a lilac merle tri? We have always been a b/w family so the color part of the BC equation is something we are not familiar with.

post-9421-1229268644_thumb.jpgpost-9421-1229268666_thumb.jpg

This is a big help. She is out of a red merle female and a B/W tri male. There were both red and blue (? blue/black?) merles in the litter. Not that color really makes any difference to us, it is just that when people see her around where we live....they tell me she doesn't look like a red.

From the Border Collie Museum website, here's the link for the lilac category:

http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Perm...ColorLilac.html

There's also examples of all the color variations in Border Collies, really a neat site to look through. Hope this helpful!

By the way, she's a real cutie pie!

I wonder if she is a red, just with lighter merled bits around her face, because the clue to a dilute is usually the colour of the nose leather and eye rims- and in that first photo, hers look quite dark red.

There are some photos of lilacs here (scroll down) which show their nose colour fairly well.

It can be pretty hard to tell, especially from photos.

Just to add- we had a foster koolie a while ago who we thought might have been a dilute red (aka fawn or lilac). In the end we figured she was red, because she had a fairly dark nose and eye rims, but she looks a bit similar in colouring to your lovely girl.

Photos here.

Yes, the nose....that is what made me think she might be a dilute red. It has a dilute quality about it, more pinky-brown than brown. And MJK, she does favor a light version your Koolie in a merle. She has that same yellow coloring on her face and ears, yellow eyes with some merle/blue influence. Who knows really, and it really doesn't matter....but she has matured differently than I thought she would be. When a few good friends have seen her, they had an opinion about her color (beyond colored BCs don't work....<grin>). My husband isn't that fond of her color either. He is a traditional B/W person through and through.

I have attached a pic of her when she was a pup and she looked more red at that time. The good news is, no matter what color she is.....she is out of fantastic working lines. We ranch and raise livestock (cow-calf operation) in MT and she displays some very promising behavior. We have needed exactly what she is representing in temperment and style. Again....thank you for all of the input.

post-9421-1229352082_thumb.jpg

When a few good friends have seen her, they had an opinion about her color (beyond colored BCs don't work....<grin>). My husband isn't that fond of her color either. He is a traditional B/W person through and through.

You're friends and husband are right about her, so you should send her to me=) She's adorable!

Janet

You're friends and husband are right about her, so you should send her to me=) She's adorable!

Janet

Janet....lol.....yes, she certainly is a cute-y-pie! And full of pee and vinegar to boot. She is going to require all of the tricks in my training bag; she is 10 steps ahead of any pup (and my husband and I - for that matter) we have had in a very long time.

As with many of you in these forums, I don't know what I would do without my BCs. I am certain the world goes around because of them.