BC Boards

Allergy - sensitivity to chicken ?!

Anda

OK, this comming from a person who doesn't quite buy into this allergy thing. I'm not saying people (or dogs) don't have them, it's just that being raised in Romania, NO ONE I knew ever complained of allergies. Unlike in US, where everyone has to talk about "their allergies" :rolleyes: (no offense)

Anyway, would it be possible that my dog might be over sensitve (or "allergic") to chicken/turkey?! He loves it, I tried cooked chicken, raw pieces, he even steals bones from the garbage, regardless of the form, after ingestion, the next day, is RUN day :D Diaria big time! It's like clockwork, if he has some chicken in the afternoon or at night, the next morning, mama mia, poor lil' guy is desperate to go outside and let it go :D He's not scratching, or anything, it's just his digestive system that revolts when it comes to chicken

Countless paper towels, book pages, receipts and other paper products seem to actually agree with him Even the plush monkey arm and tail he ate as a puppy appeared to have found their way out without any drama.

But when it comes to chicken...hmmmmmmmmm....

He's had issues with some dry food as well, until I switched him to California Natural Lamb and Rice, on which he thrives.

I am not planning to get him tested at the vet for his "allergies", just wondering if any of you had seen such sensitive stomachs when it comes to poultry. I thought he'll get better with time, but he's 13 months now and no sign of improvement. Pepto does it when it's too bad, then 12 hours later he's good as new.

Originally posted by Anda:

I am not planning to get him tested at the vet for his "allergies", just wondering if any of you had seen such sensitive stomachs when it comes to poultry.

Allergies do in fact exist but I wouldn't bother testing your dog since he's given you very conclusive information that chicken does not agree with him.

I have a dog who is allergic to turkey but not chicken. He's also quite allergic to rice. A dog or person can be allergic to anything.

With your pup, I would stick to the kibble that seems to work so well and avoid food that makes him sick.

Maybe its just that he is not used to getting it...not that he is actually 'allergic'.

ie. his stomach is used to his normal food, and then giving him poultry upsets the 'balance' and ends in the runs....

Paper products seem to be easily degraded in the stomach (Zeke eats road maps, reciepts, napkins, book covers, my homework....)

Yes...."sensitive", but not allergic. (I typed all of the above and then thought "durrh! Thats what she just said!" )

LOL Geoffrey

Thanks Liz. I wasn't doubting the allergy concept, I just somehow didn't want to have to say "my dog has allergies", if this makes sense to you :rolleyes:

I am not planning to keep "experimenting" with his poor stomach, especially when it's me that has to pick up after him :D

I agree, just dont give him chicken. My dog is allergic to corn. It seems that maybe meats make a more digestiv eupset reaction and grains make more skin reactions? My Lab mix is allergic to corn and fles. He's been on Lamb and Rice since we found out and had no problems and now I am switching him to a grain free food.

His flea allergy expresses itself as a fairly severes red itchy belly as soon as the flea mads wear off, you can comb him and not find anything but then there will be one flea that is causing all the troubles :rolleyes: So, he's on monthly spot on treatments

My girl is severely alleric to corn and wheat.

She goes bald ripping her fur out in an itching fit!! It is a nightmare.

I would just avoid the chicken as he is letting you know that his body sees chicken as the enemy. :rolleyes:

I'm having a "duh" moment. Missy has some grass allergies. But there is also something else - licking paws, scratching ears, etc. I've been trying to figure out what it is.

Reading this thread has caused me to think of the last time she was symptom free. When I was in CO, I had forgotten her regular food and had to buy a bag out there. She had only L&R food for several days, and almost no allergy symptoms. I'm wondering if chicken is the trigger. She has it several times a week. I'll try a couple weeks without it and see what happens.

I would think it is more likely corn if she is having a skin allergy. Most foods that are not Lamb and Rice contain corn. Check the bag, if it has corn I think I'd try a corn free food, which usually is Lamb and Rice so it'll be chicken free to :rolleyes:

Due to her allergies, I've avoided buying kibble with corn in it for a year and a half :rolleyes: . Miss is on premium kibble and raw (read - I think my dog eats better than I do :D )

It very well could be something else, but about 30% of her diet is some sort of chicken. And the other day, after eating a can of premium chicken food the night before, she had terrible diarrhea - in my car no less - YUCK!

Poor Missy! Yeah, try to hold chicken from her diet for a week and see if her itching is going away.

Diarrhea in the car, ohhhhhhh, poor you :rolleyes: I only had one time when he vomited in the car, and that was when he was about 5 months and I had fed him raw pieces of pork before going on a hiking trip..... No more of that

Oh ok, must be the Chicken then :rolleyes: Sorry, I didnt know that she was already off chicken

Both our dogs get the runs after having any type of raw bone. My dog also gets the runs if she has any of those smoked bones you can get from the petstore, pig ears, bully sticks, leftovers (other than veggies) or anything that is really fatty or really rich. She rarely has any of these things and I think her system is just a bit sensitive to changes. I would most likely guess its just because he's got a bit of a sensitive stomach to certain things.

My 2 dogs (not Border Collies) can't tolerate chicken, whether it's boiled or whatever. It really upsets their stomach. Yet they eat Chicken and Veg tuckertime, and one of them it's the only food she can tolerate and they both have grass/pollen allergies, but not food allergies according to the food trial (I think they do). They eat a lot of grass after eating chicken and their stomachs rumble and they are quite wiffy..

Chicken in the US is raised kinda, weird, so it's not uncommon to see allergies either to the meat or to eggs. Ben's pretty allergic to chicken, but it gives him the itchies, not the runs.