BC Boards

Need help catching a dumped dog.

The local community association called me today to come and see a dog that is near our rescue and is totally matted. I'm thinking it's a shih tzu mix male as it's pretty large.

He seemed to take one look and me and disappeared even though it trusted the guard who was feeding it to a degree. (about 5 feet away) That makes me think it must come around our property at times to get the smell.

I suggested the community guard should contact the local dog law for a trap but, they may not have one.

What ideas do you guys have? It's getting really cold around here at night (low 20's)

A live trap doesn't sound like a horrible idea. It's far better than having the poor thing freeze to death or get hit by a car.

Or perhaps try coaxing him with a dog friendly dog to get him within catching distance.

my 2 cents

Good luck.

Of course live trap if you can find one, but if not, you may need some patience. If he's friendly with other dogs, try hanging around with a dog and see what happens. I would also encourage that gaurd who's been feeding him to keep feeding him, really, really good food and gain his trust. It would help also if someone really close by had a back yard that you could leave the gate open and some food, but then someone would always have to be watching to make sure the gate gets close when the dog entered the back yard. I doubt he'll freeze, dogs are very, very oportunistic and will go anywhere to keep warm...including dumpsters....but it would obviously be in his best interest to be rescued.

Of course live trap if you can find one, but if not, you may need some patience. If he's friendly with other dogs, try hanging around with a dog and see what happens. I would also encourage that gaurd who's been feeding him to keep feeding him, really, really good food and gain his trust. It would help also if someone really close by had a back yard that you could leave the gate open and some food, but then someone would always have to be watching to make sure the gate gets close when the dog entered the back yard. I doubt he'll freeze, dogs are very, very oportunistic and will go anywhere to keep warm...including dumpsters....but it would obviously be in his best interest to be rescued.

I really doubt he will freeze either although he's at risk to the coyotes. The mats are horrible like a giant clumps over his eyes. Its possible he's been hiding out all summer and fall and only now is getting desperate enough to show himself. I'm going to see if I can find a live trap although I only think they have cat ones locally.

Well, the cat ones are big enough for a smaller shih tzu type dogs (maybe)? I've never seen one, but I've seen some decent sized cats....

You are right though, tasty treat for a coyote. I would really encourage the person who's been feeding him to keep feeding him really great food if possible. Perhaps this person will be able to get him into an enclosure?