BC Boards

To Catch a Duck

Carson Crazies

Ok, don't laugh too hard, but my neighbor's Thanksgiving duck has escaped. He's wandering around our (urban) neighborhood amock. Here's the thing... it's wings haven't been clipped, so the {insert ugly word here} can fly. I don't know why I'm even concerning myself with this, but I'm worried for the poor thing. Yesterday at lunch I went out there with Nick and we worked the beastie down to their house, up their steps and almost in their front door before it flew up on the neighbor's garage (eh, my fault, I put too much pressure on it). I can get within a couple of feet from it (if Nick holds it) but can't actually get my hands on it, and it's gotten wise to the fact that it can escape by flying away.

Thougts as to how to catch it? It's like... war. I wonder if I could just... toss a blanket over it or something? I might could get close enough to do that. I don't have any net. Nick and I (and the teenaged girls that let it out by accident) got it almost in a crate yesterday. He was in my yard this morning and we managed to get him almost up the steps. I think maybe my red flannel pajamas were too loud for him. :rolleyes: We could probably get him in my back yard, but still there's the flying thing to consider. I DO have a baby pool. I'm wondering if I'd fill it up for him if he'd go take a swim, and then maybe I'd have time to toss something over him??

A blanket, weighted somehow so you can toss it, is probably your only chance. And i bet you get exactly one good shot at it.

Speaking as someone who spent a half a day watching friends trying to catch some ducks at my place. :D And then enjoyed them on the pond when they ended up living with me. :rolleyes:

I wonder if you could work the duck into some sort of lean to or shed or garage, where it had a roof so it couldn't fly off. Oh, cracked corn might help too.

That's sort of how I'm leaning - the blanket thing. I am sort of thinking if I could fill up my baby pool and run it up in the back yard and get it to swim, then maybe it wouldn't be as hard to toss a blanket over it. Cracked corn - good idea. Evidently it didn't feel too temped over the trail of dogfood I left it. lol Then there IS the fact that I throw like a girl and have horrendous aim. However, if I aim for something other than the duck I'll probably throw it on the duck.

Well, at least Nick's out there looking all stylish and stuff.

Well, I don't think it should become a dinner duck if you do catch it - Seems I remember some story about a couple of pigs that escaped in England that became celebraties after avoiding the slaughter house ...sounds like this duck has the right idea :rolleyes:

good luck with the blanket thing....I tried that...I gave up. My escapee duck just wandered back into the duckhouse after a couple of hours :D

The more often he is pressured into the flight the faster he will take off in flight when you pressure him. It's going to take less and less pressure to send him off, if you watch him close as you apply pressure he should give you an indication when the pressure is to high, immediately release by stepping back and he should change him mind and not fly. I would try luring him into a pen with corn, place corn outside the pen leading up to it and let him decide to follow the lure just by applying suttle pressure, if might take quite a while, but if it's not his idea to enter the trap he's just going to fly the coup, literally. Unless your dog is really good at releasing pressure I would do it without a dog, and I definately would not try to physically catch the duck, even our wing clipped ducks will get lift off if I try to have to dog hold them to me.

Good luck, hopefully all the excercise won't make him into a tough duck when it comes time to cook him.

Deb

Unless your dog is really good at releasing pressure

That's actually one of the things he excels at often times. :rolleyes:

Evidently my dog is FAR better at reading pressure than I am (it's been ME that makes him fly), because the duck is now happily in my back yard thanks to him. I set him up a baby pool (complete with the lid from my cooler for a ramp. Is this a full service operation or WHAT??) and he's had some bread and washed it down. However, I'm thinking I might get my largest wire dog crate out there and set up some ex-pens as funnels, get some corn, and see if I can let it decide to go in there. Don't have a kennel, unfortunately.

I'm back at work, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just let it be. It really bothers me that the folks to whom the duck belongs aren't bothering to do anything.

Marilyn - that does give me thought - Julie's housemate fishes. Wonder if he has a big ole net???

A sheep leg crook works wonders. Hook the duck's neck. I have a poorly designed duck tractor (that would be my own fault) and I catch ducks in it with my crook all the time. Never had one get hurt.

I'd be tempted to keep it, too :rolleyes: I love my ducks... although I do eat the extra males. I love my ducks, but I also LOVE duck!

12 gauge?

:rolleyes: Yeah... except there's that whole discharging a firearm in the city thing.

My newest, latest, greatest plan is that I'm going to stop and get some cracked corn on my way home. I'm going to put out an expen, and bungee a tarp on top of it. I'm then going to make a trail, and put him some corn and some water in the pen also. It should be almost dark when I get home, so even if I decide not to try to work him in there maybe he'll decide to go on his own. Oh, but I think it's quite possible that he is a she - no curly tail feathers that I can see. :D

Doggone it - I was rooting for the duck! Well, I wasn't rooting against Laura, just against a duck for dinner for folks who didn't seem very concerned at all about the duck. And besides, he seems to have had quite the will to "live wild and free".

Bill!!! :rolleyes:

Would save time as you folks are going to eat him anyway!

Bill! You are a fun person!

Yeah right duck......

and where does duck go at night?

Catch him then with long handled fish net, when its dark, quietly.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It reminds me of trying to catch a canadian goose that was caught in fishing line underneath the dock of a WA state ferry.

We went and told, the dock crew, the ferry workers who we were, then asked them NOT to call the coast guard when we are under the dock climbing around trying to catch this goose.

But what did they do? Some Captain that hadn't been told called the coast guard and we soon were hands up in the dark with alot of guns being pointed at us......scary......

"Uh no sir, we are only wildlife rehab trying to catch a goose......a goose? You know those birds that fly and have webbed feet......No I'm not trying to be funny.....Oh Yes I know this is serious......Uh I left my ID in that truck over there parked by the no parking sign......

"My brother always wears his Geronimo shirt........"

"I can't lay face down Sir because you are standing on my net......"

Thank goodness! Now I can sleep at night (and any other time I get a chance).

A happy ending (hopefully) to a Happy Thanksgiving tale, the tale of the duck that flew the coop. Who knows, he could become his own suburban legend.