BC Boards

Weight Pulling a BC

I suppose it would help. Cap just doesn't want to pull much. I think it is just him.

When I start the sled dog pups I start them with a harness on and a tug line tied to an old tire. Then I have a line at the back of the tire to help steer, and make sure that the tire never rams into them.

Then I have someone run in front.

But with older dogs I just have them get used to lines and equitment then run them swing with an old hand. That seems easiest.

The sheepdogs work sheep during the winter when we are still browsing.

I sled with mine and they pull great. I've finally got a 4-dog team ready to race, it's made up of Lightning (BC/lab) and Rain (BC) in lead with Storm (BC) and Thunder (mixbreed) in wheel. I've also started Flurry's sled training and he's going to be awesome, he's a natural. I have a friend who races a purebred BC 4-dog team and the lady who mentored her used to race a 6-dog team of BC's.

Are there any particular types of harness you start you training with. I have a few REALLY OLD style sled harnesses but nothing else really. We tried pulling the snow sled around last night but all she wanted to do was heel and she acted like she had never had an obedience lesson in her life. We'll try again with some more help to see if that works. :rolleyes:

For sledding I use a standard x-back for some of my dogs and a collared-neck x-back for others (supposed to be more suited for the leaner built dogs like Alaskan Huskies and Border Collies). I've also got another model like the x-back that's meant for larger dogs, it's got an extra wide chest plate with more padding. I think for weight pull a freight harness is usually used, that extends further at the back so as to drop down behind the dogs tail and it has a wooden spreader bar at the back. Some people will use something similar for sledding too. There have been some recent discussions about teaching dogs to line out and not turn around in harness or duck out of the harness on the sled dog forum I go on. You might find some helpful tips if you check it out. If you go to the main page of Sled Dog Central you can find the link to SDC Talk (the forums), but also on the main page there are links all down the left side and you can find many different suppliers of various styles of harnesses. And, from the main page you can also check out the race schedule which does list some weight pull events.