BC Boards

puppy agility

I train at a great place here in central NY and have learned a ton in my handler's classes. The class is really for the hadler, but the dog needs to be experienced too or they can't be used in it. Grady needs to start his foundation work, so I asked the facility owner what she recommended for classes. She gave me the name of a lady who teaches at the facility and does wonders with pups. Perfect!

The trainer called last night to confirm the start date and asked about the dog. When she asked about clicker trainer, I told her Lucia is scared of it so my skill is minimal. She was shocked to hear I had an older dog and even more shocked to here she's competing in nearly all open level classes. Then she asked why I wanted the foundation class for Grady because the class is really for clueless dog owners (not her words, but what she hinted towards). After a quick run down of what I wanted and that I don't have access to ALL equipment, just a few pieces, she still hemmed and hawed about me needing the class. She has even offered for me attend the first class and not continue if I thought it was too basic. Very nice gesture IMO..

I have put Lucia in a first timer class LONG after she needed it (just because I wanted her to refresh the contacts from a basic level) and was bored out of my skull! Do I keep Grady in the class even if it's too basic for me or do I pull him and try to find something else? There has to be a class or place to train a dog that has a somewhat knowlagable owner, but the dog is a newbie.

anyone else run into this? I know I could do most of the foundation stuff myself, but I want Grady to understand he has to work/focus around other dogs and people and have self control and learn it without his Mom being bored out of her skull.

Morning!

It sounds like you are going to the class for Grady and not you - so I would think that if you are attending to help Grady understand what is wanted of him and to get used to the distractions then it would be worth while. But otherwise, take the trainer up on the offer to come to the first class and find something else if it is too remedial.

I am a bit confused about this, though. What makes this class more for the handlers than for the pups? I never thought about how I would train a second dog at agility (if I were to get one). Daisy and I are both new to agility and are on week #5 of our 8 week puppy class. And while I know that I am learning how to be a handler - I still think of it as "her" class. She is expriencing the obstacles for the first time and learning the new commands that I am giving to her. I still think I would do it the same way for a second dog...... Just thinking out loud. :rolleyes:

Do I keep Grady in the class even if it's too basic for me or do I pull him and try to find something else? There has to be a class or place to train a dog that has a somewhat knowlagable owner, but the dog is a newbie.

anyone else run into this? I know I could do most of the foundation stuff myself, but I want Grady to understand he has to work/focus around other dogs and people and have self control and learn it without his Mom being bored out of her skull.

When I put Dean in Basic class, we had a substitute instructor the first night of class and she saw me and asked, "what are YOU doing here?" I wasn't there for me, of course, I was there for Dean. It didn't matter that I had been through it four times already, nor that I teach at the place, nor that I wasn't there to learn how to train him since I already knew (and I was actually kind of doing my own thing since I was clicker training him and it wasn't a clicker based class!) - Dean needed to train around other dogs, so there we were!

When I took intro to Agility with him, I had also taken it several times with other dogs, and I had even taught it a couple of times. Again, I wasn't there to learn how to train him, but to have access to the equipment in a setting that let me get him familiar with it and learn how to perform on each piece. It didn't matter how many times I had done it - he needed the intro. And he really, really, really needed to learn to focus and perfom around other dogs.

Since I didn't need to learn what each piece was and how to perform it correctly as some of the others did, I could focus more on my dog. While the other students were taking their turns, I worked with Dean on CU stuff and I taught him tricks and skills like targeting. It didn't really take long for him to become skilled enough on the equipment to move into a more advanced class where I could start focusing on learning a new style of hadling for him, since he is very different from Maddie, who was already competing by the time I got Dean started.

I don't know if that helps, but that's what I chose to do in a similar situation. We don't really have classes here geared toward experienced handlers with new dogs, but I've never found it problematic to go back to an intro level class with a new dog to provide the dog with the opportunity to get the foundation even though I've been there and done it before. In fact, I rather enjoy it because it gives me a chance to have a solid hour to focus just on that dog and to enjoy the learning process together.

Good luck! You'll find agility addicting. It's so much fun because every day is something new. At the stage you are in, you are both newbies and you are correct to say the class is as much hers as yours. The bond you'll make while working and learning togetherwill be awesome. At some point the learning curve dips for the handler. Lucia, in the hands of a good trainer, is amazing on a course. Lucia, in my hands on a course.......well, that's why I need a handlers class :rolleyes:

I'm thinking I may take the class for Grady's sake, just because, but there a point where the classes start to become too remedial. I'm no computer expert, but it would be like taking a novice computer class and the teacher going....this is a keyboard, please push a key and see what happens.

The handler's class is more advanced and for people (and dogs) who are trialing. The dogs continue to learn new things such as distance, switches and flick-a-ways, but most dogs at this level know what is expected of them and obviously know how to do the obsticals. The handlers are taught how to give the correct body movements to push and pull the dogs to send them in the right direction, pull them off what looks like the obvious next obstical (to the dog) when it actually is not and learn how what works for one dog does not work for the next and how to compinsate for it. Distance at this level is key and it's way too much stress for a newbie dog to understand what is expected of them in that kind of learning envireonment. The class is very cool because it breaks down every movement you make and how the dog reads it. My trainer includes videoing you while you run a sequence. It's quite wild to see yourself and how the dog reacts to every move :D

I'm finding it's very hard to find a class that is a happy medium between newbie dog and not so newbie handler. I have some equipment that he's been introdused to and he does well, but not all obsticals are safe to teach alone.

Rootbeer

You posted while I was typing. Thanks for the response. That is kinda what I was looking for in a class. I'm glad you don't think it's a waste. I never thought about using the extra time to teach other things since I don't have to watch as much. I've never met this trainer and I hope she doesn't find it distracting with the other students. I ask first to make sure.

I hope that you are able to find that happy medium for an experienced handler and a newbie dog. And I can understand how it would be repetitive for you to be in that class over and over again.

Daisy and I are hooked on aglility already! I love that we get to do something that is so much fun and it keeps improving our relationship together. I even have my BF hooked on it now. I think he wants to get a BC pup of his own next spring. :rolleyes:

I hope that you are able to find that happy medium for an experienced handler and a newbie dog. And I can understand how it would be repetitive for you to be in that class over and over again.

Daisy and I are hooked on aglility already! I love that we get to do something that is so much fun and it keeps improving our relationship together. I even have my BF hooked on it now. I think he wants to get a BC pup of his own next spring. :D

LOL, you would not believe the amount of couples that have done that :rolleyes: They can only stand on the sideline for just so long!

At my agility club the new dogs all start in the same class even tho some of the handlers have never done agility and some have dogs running at the highest level

Its about training the partnership and getting the dog experienced on the equipment

A decent trainer should make sure you are not bored

One time when our class was quiet our trainer brought her new dog in to train with us and because the dog and the partnership were inexperienced she was making pretty much the same mistakes as the rest of us

- surfing all agility things just now cos in the morning we have our first ever proper comp, doubt I will be sleeping much tonight!

I am in Masters level classes with both my dogs. Tweed is, of course, a Masters level dog. Piper is not - and was not one when she started out in classes. The only reasons she is a Masters level class are because I was not willing to make the 2 hour drive out there more than once a week and needed back-to-back classes on the same evening (and beginners classes were not on that evening) and because she is a quick study. Otherwise, her presence in a class at that level, as a newbie dog, would have been very frustrating for everyone else. And to be honest, I regret that we don't have some of the basics I wish we'd had time for.

However, if I were to start classes with Wootie, we'd take a beginner's class. Just because I know what I'm doing (allegedly) doesn't mean the dog does, and it shouldn't be boring to me if I am teaching a brand new dog - I should be engaged with the dog who is brand new to it all.

Of course Woo would require like 12 consecutive back to back beginner's classes, because he's just not interested in agility at all, but I think you get my point.

RDM

Thanks for all the input. The class is definately for Grady and not me. He's going to be a fun dog to work with, so boredom with his training won't be an issue. I was really hoping to skip....this is a tunnel......kinda class. It looks like this is where I have to start to make sure he gets the right start, so no big deal.

The trainer is new to me and maybe she'll have different ideas on training I can use with both dogs. There's always plusses to every situation.

I went to the class last night and had a great time. there are 7 in the group and 2 others have lots of experience too. Both compete and one even has her competative dog in the class because he can't concentrate in the ring. The trainer is very nice and very patient. She even sent away the experienced people to the other side of the room to do their own thing while she worked with the others. Grady and a 6 month old boxer are the only puppies. The others are between 1 1/2 - 2 years old.

Grady had a great time and was so tired when we got home, he ate dinner, went upstair on his own and went to sleep in his crate :D The lady does clicker training and shaping. I've never really done any clicker training since Lucia is scared of it. I've done a lot of shaping with her though. I'm always up for new ideas to see what works best.

By the way, the lady with the boxer has it's ears in cropping bandages :rolleyes: and was 15 min late to class (disrupting things on the way in) because of a dog show :D I didn't think people did the cropping thing any more. The poor thing is obviously uncomfortable when it moves around because it makes her ears pull back and forth in unison and she shakes her head all the time. The trainer even made a comment about the dog looking uncomforable with it and only let the dog walk through things. How long do they have to wear them?